robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Hi all,

So my newly built system is running like a dream which im pretty chuffed about since it was my 1st build!!

Well when i say like a dream i do of course have 2 small issues. Firstly i have a network problem which you can read all about here if you are so inclined;

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/24080-18-vista-compatable-wireless-adapter

Secondly i have a really irritating sound problem. I am using the onboard sound on my GA-EP35-DS3R rev2.1 in an Antec 900 case. The speakers plugged directly into the mobo work fine, but when i plug headphones into the front audio jack i get the most annoying crackling/buzzing sound, which gets worse when i resize windows or even move the mouse.

So i dont know if this is a case problem or a mobo problem (or indeed an operator problem!!!). I have read a load of posts where people have been having the same problem but none seem to reach a solution - can anyone help???

Cheers,

Rob

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Well I know from having an Antec 900 case that the front ports have a ground wire coming from the fronts ports somewhere that should be screwed into the top of your case near the 200mm exhaust fan. It's just a little single wire terminated into an O-ring washer into which the screw is inserted. Check that and that your front panel audio cable is completely plugged into the appropiate motherboard header.

That's the only advice I can come up with at the moment. Actually, I have the same problem with a computer I built for my parents in the Antec Sonata Designer case. At first the speakers didn't work anymore in the rear audio ports so I chunked the speakers since they were a good 6 or 7 years old. They were cheaper speakers and I figured they had just lived out their life. Well my little brother tried using headphones with them and did this crackling and buzzing of which you speak and so now I don't know what the hell is going on. If any of my suggestions work for you let me know, I'll try them on my parent's computer. Oddly enough I didn't think of these suggestions a month ago when I was at my parent's last. Hope I was some help.

Good Luck

--Arson94

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Right,

So i checked the ground wire and it seemed fine and i also made sure all conections inside the case were ok - which they were.

So i hit google and read (it seems) about every sound problem that has arisen in the last 5 years for every bit of kit imaginable. Somewhere during this research it was suggested that the video card might be causing an audio problem for someone so i though i would try different drivers for my 8800GTS(512).

Now when i uninstall the drivers (i was using 175.16) but before i install the new drivers, my sound problem vanishes. Happy days i think, must have just been some dodgy drivers for my video card. Unfortunately i have now tried 5 differnt drivers, and get the audio problem with each one.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions, although the problem is not a hugh issue, its really starting to infuriate me!!!!

Rob

*edit - really bad grammer/spelling.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I dont' see why the video card would cause an audio problem? I'd say the next thing to check is to make sure you have the latest drivers for your chipset. Of course this should include sound drivers as well since it's onboard. I'd make sure Windows has all updates installed and that ALL your drivers are updated. Otherwise, I'd have to search Google for "GA-EP35-DS3R 8800GTS sound" for any more advice lol.

--Arson94