Your question

Raid set-up showing as two seperate drives

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 19, 2009 9:40:31 PM

I recently updated my bios to try and fix a problem I was having with my motherboard. Before I did this I had 2 seagate sata drives setup in a raid 1 configuration and I only ever saw one local disk drive (C). Now after the update I have two local disk drives (C) and (E) and they both have different amounts of data on them. Does this mean they are no longer in a raid setup?

If more info is needed let me know.

thanks

More about : raid set showing seperate drives

May 20, 2009 7:33:16 AM

Yes, it means they are no longer in a RAID setup. You're probably using some sort of mobo/BIOS-based RAID? and the BIOS update wiped the BIOS RAID config, so they're now being treated as separate drives instead of a RAID array. (What does your BIOS show?)
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 20, 2009 11:46:40 AM

What has happened is after the update, your BIOS has likely returned to the defaulted settings. The default settings do not include RAID support, and the controller will be turned off, or set for normal SATA operation.
You will need to set everything back to the original RAID settings.
Enter the RAID BIOS, and put the drives back into RAID 1.
If you have not done much, the controller should simply re-establish the array.
If you have been running with only 1 disk for a period of time, you may have to rebuild the array.
Related resources
May 21, 2009 2:45:32 AM

jitpublisher said:
What has happened is after the update, your BIOS has likely returned to the defaulted settings. The default settings do not include RAID support, and the controller will be turned off, or set for normal SATA operation.
You will need to set everything back to the original RAID settings.
Enter the RAID BIOS, and put the drives back into RAID 1.
If you have not done much, the controller should simply re-establish the array.
If you have been running with only 1 disk for a period of time, you may have to rebuild the array.

I think the only thing I did was defrag the drives. If I have to rebuild the array I will lose the info on the drives right?
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 21, 2009 7:00:46 AM

Yes, if you have to rebuild the array you will lose the data.

The best bet is to back up your data before doing anything. Then try to put them back in the array and repair it.
!