QNAP TS-809U-RP or Thecus N8800?

lyingdong

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I did very detail comparison between these two models. My conclusion is QNAP's TS-809U-RP for sure.
CPU QNAP has 2.8GHZ, but Thecus is 2.0GHz
Memory QNAP has 2GB, but Thecus has 1GB
QNAP has AES 256 Encryption

Also, QNAP has better GUI than Thecus.

realitybytez

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
my only response to that is that just because it has a faster processor and more ram doesn't mean it will perform better. it all comes down to how good the raid controller is. both products use a software raid controller, i believe. i have finally found some measurements of throughput for the qnap that seem to put it in the same league as the thecus in terms of speed. but the qnap test results are published by qnap, not an independent lab, and they're still lower than the results published by an independent review of the thecus. so it would appear that the thecus has a better raid controller.

furthermore, the thecus does raid 10, which has become the defacto standard for enterprise database applications. the qnap does not do raid 10, which strikes me as somewhat behind the curve. the thecus is also stackable. and a fully loaded n8800 will cost several hudred dollars less than a similarly configured ts-809u-rp.

tough choice.

mharris100

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I am also looking at the same two devices and trying to make the call. We use RAID 6 so that is not a deciding factor. The better specs on the QNAP are tempting although from the benchmarks do not necessary deliver as well as the Thecus. The ability to do RSync is a nice feature on the QNAP for DR. The Thecus unit does have a propitiatory replication package (NSync) but I could not find any documentation on this. I don't believe it does delta changes like RSync does. The stacking option on the Thecus is nice.
With the advent of the 2TB SATA drives and iSCSI these units are very attractive at the price. We are looking to use it for a B2D2T solution. When comparing other options such as Data Domain, HP, Dell who are doing D-Dup for storage saving, the price of these units makes them almost a no brainier. An MD1000 with limited features and 10TB will set you back $10K and is direct attached only. Data Domain and HP products with D-Dup are closer to $20K for 4TB (production usage up to 20TB with D-Dup). Interested to see where everyone else goes with this.

Sharikon

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I'm not sure about the QNAP but I just put in a N8800 backup to disk storage and it works great. I use it for iSCSI, NFS and CIFS (Windows Share). I have 8 1.5TB 7200.11 SATA drives in a RAID6 configuration and I ran IOMeter against it using several different workloads and it performs almost the same as my $30k Lefthand SAS SAN and I spent less than $3k. From a performance perspective it well exceeded my expectations and if it turns out to be stable and reliable then it is a no brainer.

PandaZ

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

If the performance are similar, I'll go for price. From the web searching, Thecus is definitely the winner.

decusvino01

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Thecus N8800 and QNAP TS809U-RP should not be compared with each other since the CPU architecture between the two is very different.

Thecus N8800 uses Celeron 1.86GHz and QNAP TS809U-RP uses Core 2 duo 2.8GHz

However, compare the two, I would say Thecus N8800 is a better choice take into consideration that both NAS have similar features and performance, and the price of N8800 is also more competitive than QNAP TS809U-RP.

I am really interested to see the performance on the new N8800SAS.

jakmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello All....

If you not purchased yet, you might want to head over to : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/85/93/

This site does a great job at testing all of these platforms in a consistent fashion, I've taken their reviews into my decision several times. It's worth the time to spend some time there

:)