neil9294

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I have a shuttle spacewalker AV40s V1.0 with the latest available BIOS: AV40SA08. I currently have a P4 2.4GHZ 512MB 400FSB Northwood CPU installed and it works perfectly. I have purchased a 2.8 GHZ 512MB 400FSB Northwood CPU but I am not sure if it will work. Shuttle's archive website says the mobo has been "successfully tested" up to 2.5GHZ. I don't know whether that measn that higher clock speed CPUs won't work. My understanding is that these CPUs have the multiplier locked. the BIOS has a maximum multiplier od 24 but it makes no difference anyway; the CPU is locked. My question is: will the mobo and BIOS read the 2.8GHZ cpu or not? If anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful for their shared wisdom.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
its not going to fry it, the worst that ccould happen is it wouldn't boot (unless i suppose you forced it in the wrong way round or something.... :S)

neil9294

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement. I did try it and it worked perfectly first time with no need to adjust the BIOS or anything. So, it would appear that either the BIOS had enough head room or that it doesn't affect the reading of the clock speed at all. In any case, my research suggests that the 2.8 is the fastest P4 with a 400FSB, so this mobo is now maxed out unless I get into further tweaking of the BIOS or overclocking. I have posted a note about the increased upgrade capability at http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Shuttle/AV40S_(V1.0).html