Realtek HD Audio with 5.1 Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1th

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I have a gigabyte GA-ma78gm-s2h it has realtek ALC889a HD audio on it. I have connected my dolby 5.1 speakers via the 1/8 inch headphone style cables and in the speaker test they all sound fine although i have to set it to an 8 speaker configuration to get it realize that i have no side speakers, but when I play and music or video file i only get stereo sound. cant seem to figure it out , is there no speaker setting for 5.1?? any help greatly appreciated!

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
TBH if you have a decent Music setup, then i would buy a decent sound card liek the X-fi xtreme music. and if you can connect your Speakers to your s/Card via either optical or coaxiel SPDIF.

anyway on your problem, let me get this straight.
you haev 6 speaker (5.1) yea.

anyway on your problem, letr me get this straight.
you have 6 speaker (5.1) yea.
-5.1 foesnt have a any side speaker, so why not set your s/card to 5.1?

what happens if you play a DVD (not copied or compressed) on your system? do you get 5.1

m1th

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I also have it set to 8 and in the speaker test everything works but anytime i play anything in media player or showtime , anything really, i only get stereo . WTF!

tokyotech

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
Do you mean that you want sound to come out of all 6 speakers? If you have Logitech speakers, you need to hit the "matrix" button. And if your brand of speakers doesn't have this feature, then it's not likely you can play surround sound from a stereo sound file.

m1th

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
we'll i updated from an msi k9mm-v with 5.1 out and it functioned just fine , no matter what file i played it came thru the sub and rear speakers , windows is set to 5.1 , and when i do the speaker test in the realtek software they al work , i cant seem to find the microsoft update to uninstall it like what was mentioned in your thread , what update number is it?

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
With my Realtek HD when you open up the Audio Manager there is a Default Format tab. Under that there is a option for DTS Interactive 5.1 mode for playing music. But that is for taking stereo music and spreading it to a 5.1 system. You have to remember about 98 percent of music is recorded in stereo. The music DVD's that are recorded in 5.1 format out on the market would require the same needs as playing a DVD movie.

For DVD's if your using WinXP then you will need to buy a full retail version of PowerDVD or WinDVD to get the needed software for decoding 5.1 sound. The latest version of Windows Media Player will also let you go online to buy the codec for decoding 5.1 from both of these companys without buying the whole program as well, saving you a little money.

If your using Vista and your version has Windows Media Center as part of it then you don't need to buy anything. It already comes with the software for decoding 5.1 from DVD's.

m1th

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
when i hit the dts interactive tab it informs me that only the digital outputs will be used, i went ahead and gave it a shot and nada as my speakers are just a cheap set of 5.1's ..... looking for an update with no luck

m1th

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
thanks for the help guys but i found the solution.
Step 1: find soundblaster live! 5.1 in storage
Step 2: Install it
Step 3: DONE!

killervamp

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Hi

Dunno if anyone is even gonna read this but i also came across this problem yesterday. I got a GA-MA790FX-DQ6 a few days ago and the 5.1 also works fine in the Realtek HD Audio Manager but only plays through 2 speakers (the "front" speakers) using winamp or media player. I think the retards at Realtek thought they would do us a favour and make all stereo recorded audio only work through 2 speakers - real useful since most stuff is recorded in stereo - gee i didnt wanna use my other speakers anyway <sarcasm>.

Okay so you have two options as i see it to fix this problem - don't know if it will be the same for you guys.

1 - you can set your speaker config to 2 channel in Realtek Audio Manager - that sometimes allows you to configure the sound to come out of all the speakers (kinda sets all your speakers to front) - you might have to select the audio jacks through the manager and change eat audio jack that the speakers are plugged into to "line out". - The only problem with this is when you have true 5.1 from say a dvd you'll have to manually go change back to 6 channel audio or whatever you looking for.

2 - i used an older driver from my previous gigabyte board (older Realtek driver). My previous driver was the Realtek R1.50. You might have to uninstall your driver and then install this older one - I didn't have to i just installed it over the newer one, restarted my pc and when I was back in windows went into the Realtek Audio Manager and set my stuff to 6 channel and everything worked fine. - I think the trade-off on this is you might lose some of the features especially if you have a newer chipset but for me i couldn't really care - I don't see why I need the extra environment settings like simulating me playing my speakers on the top of a mountain.

If it helps any i'm running on Windows XP SP2. GA-MA790FX-DQ6. Realtek ALC889A Onboard Audio.

victor2k

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
The thing is that Realtek Hd Audio manager has no fault if the speaker test is behaiving ok at 6 channel configuration, then it's probably is the media players configuration, and some codecs that messed it up.
As in my case, i have media player 11, with the same problem, i tryed going to Tools- Options or Left Click on - Now Playing -and select More Options (same thing i guess) and then select from the Popup menu -Devices - Speakers - Properties - Audio device to use: ex: Direct Sound:Realtek HD Audio output

I don't know the settings for winamp cause i don't use it. Not all players work, from stereo to 5.1 (video players), and it might be the filter used as well.

pubem

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Hello,

I figured out the problem, but not the solution :

Speaker setup up is :
front speakers and rear speakers settings in the connection menu popup. (black output is the rear, the front is green /below black/)

If you set-up 4 ch mode in settings, REAR speakers are muted.
Becauase in this channel mode there the 4 speaker means 2 FRONT and two SIDE speakers. What the hell ?!

If you set to 8 ch mode, you will hear the same speakers as REAR speakers, as it's should be.
But in this case you will not get the correct 4 ch sound, because for example monoaural center sound will not be hear in the front speakers.

This is really confusing situation. Why 4 ch mode according to side speakers, I don't know, but totally unusable the onboard sound card to enjoy full 4 ch speaker setup.

Best Regards,
pubem

xlbarbosa

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Hi,

Add me to the list of folks confused by this problem.

On my new Gigabyte 780G board I need to set the output to 8 channels so the rear speakers can work.

Lame.

Killervamp I'm gonna try your potential solution; I suppose I'll have to take my home theater to the top of a mountain now to get the desired effect.

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
quick note for winamp - u need to use custom extension to get your winamp output to 5.1. Check the website for solution ;)
By default winamp output is stereo...

xlbarbosa

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Holy Schneikies!! It worked!

I did exactly what killervamp recommended...find an older realtek driver if you have analog speakers...in this case version r1.50...and it worked like a charm!

Now I have true surround sound with the rear speakers working perfectly as before. I even can watch DVDs with DTS tracks. It sounds grreeeeeaaaat

Thanks dude! I owe you a frosty beverage. Once I get down this mountain.

sketaful

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I had the same problem with the VIA Realtek Audio driver.

Found a small button named "Speaker fill" where you set up how many speakers you have (HD Audio deck) and it works perfekt. Guess it was as easy as that for me atleast, it uses the 2.1 musik and fills all speakers with it :p

sketaful

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I had the same problem with the VIA Realtek Audio driver.

Found a small button named "Speaker fill" where you set up how many speakers you have (HD Audio deck) and it works perfekt. Guess it was as easy as that for me atleast, it uses the 2.1 musik and fills all speakers with it :p

Tallin

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
It sounds like the problem with 5.1 sound is you're plugging them into the wrong port. In a true 5.1, the best speaker setup is to have the "rear" speakers on either side of you facing your ears and all speakers equidistance from you. I'd imagine you are plugging the "rear" speaker plug from your speakers into the rear speaker plug on your on-board audio, when instead it should be going into the side speaker. This will give you the fullest audio, since otherwise you are probably missing sounds to the side speakers when it is set to an 8 speaker setup.

Anyway, since it really is a 2 channel sound source you're using, you need to set any applications that use stereo to matrix or in some way add the extra channels. Unfortunately, you'd probably have to get a decoder for that, since Realtek, as a cheap onboard solution, is not going to provide an application for that like a true sound card company would. PowerDVD or WinDVD will add the capability in WMP and probably winamp, as well.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
but does it really matter if you plug them into the wrong port?,because you know can change what speaker
you want it to be (front/rear/sides...)??
but anyway i have the same problem,i cant get a nice sound when i play my games,it sounds everything mixed
and some sounds are higher than others?
i have analoge speakers,a 5.1 system and theyre really powerfull,id like to get it fixed.
Damian.

G

hi Guys!

had the same problem as everyone described...I have also instaled relatek hd r1.50 audio driver and now the sound is great and it work on all speakers (5.1)...I have one question though...NOw i am runing on windows XP SP3...I am planing to install Vista (becouse of the Media center)...has anybody solved the same problem runing on Vista (just to mention..my first operation system was Vista and had the same problem)??

DaveBilling

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
hi Guys!

had the same problem as everyone described...I have also instaled relatek hd r1.50 audio driver and now the sound is great and it work on all speakers (5.1)...I have one question though...NOw i am runing on windows XP SP3...I am planing to install Vista (becouse of the Media center)...has anybody solved the same problem runing on Vista (just to mention..my first operation system was Vista and had the same problem)??

Oh yes. I just bought a Dell with Realtek audio and I´m only getting 2 channels. People at Dell are telling me it´s the applications and not the equipment but my last Dell was running XP and a Soundblaster with all six chanels pumping just fine with everything I threw at it. I think we have a case of crap hardware and everyone dodging the mistake. I´m seriously considering giving this system to the kids and getting something that isn´t total crap - except that they wouldn´t want it - they like their music loud and bassy too. A big bus is looking better and better. Crunch, crash - problem solved.

Dave

G

Control Panel>sound>double click speakers>dolby tab> Dolby ProLogic IIx check box. Solved my problem. Although of course not true 5.1 but neither are my MP3s... so there ya go.

G

Can u post here a link with driver 1.50 pls ? i cant find it anywhere. thanx

DancingDave

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I had the same problem with vista. I got it to work as follows:-

Control Panel/Sound
Select your speakers - In my case Realtek AC97 Audio. (Ok they are Logitek 6 but they use the realtek chip on the m/board)

Click on [Properties]
Click on [Enhancements] tab
Scroll down until you sea Speaker Fill and check it.
Click apply.

Now when I use Itunes and Windows media player I get sound played out of all speakers and very nice it is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.