Finished the case for my build, pics inside

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
First of all I want to say thank you to all the wonderful people here on tom's forums that are so helpful. You made building my first PC a very enjoyable experience.

I put together a low budget AMD system around x-mas just this last December and it has been an ongoing project ever since with upgrades and mods. My first case I did some minor mods, window, cut outs for fans, all pretty basic. This case I went to town on and wanted to really customize it and incorporate some woodworking because thats what I do for a living.

System specs

Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H
4000 Brisbane OCed to 2.8GHz stable
Asus Triton70 CPU cooler with 92mm AC PWM fan
Transcend Axeram DDR2 800 4GB (4x1GB)
HIS IceQ 512mb 3850
WD SE16 250GB
Asus DVD burner DRW-2014L1T
Antec Earthwatts EA380
Rosewill RZS05 modded case

In the first 3 pics you can see where I did the cutting. Cut out the rear fan grill and removed the HD rack and the bottom 5.25" drive bay leaving only the top 2 drivebays, one for the DVD drive and one for the HD.

In this next pic is the front face plate I made out of what I think was ash. A semi hardwood with a very even grain. Here it is unfinish and just sanded ready for stain and poly.

These 3 pics are to show the sound absorption foam I lined as much of the case as I could with. It was fun to work with and gives the inside a carpeted look. You can also see in the one pic that I used layered strips to make a gasket for the PSU exuast so it exits straight out instead of leaking behind the motherboard mount panel.

Heres the final product pics. I am happy with how it turned out. Next winter I hope to build a case from the ground up. I am thinking about going with a cube style case for an ATX mobo but as compact as possible with good airflow and room for a big CPU cooler and dual HDs.

I couln't get the thumbnails to work on these last 2 pics so heres direct links. It shows the lighting effects in a dark room.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8141/117ai3.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5356/108ec5.jpg

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Thank you. Alot of inspiration came from looking at pics in forums and articals then I tried to come up with something somewhat unique. I think I did a fairly good job. Next one I'll problay use wood, metal, and plexy again and go for an even more original look.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
That's cool that you took them time to take pics during the build. I look forward to seeing more.

And it's a breath of fresh air from all the "check out my Q6600/8800gt build".

Damn that looks nice....

My only concern would be if the sub shakes too hard(or at the right frequency) its not good for hard drives...

Once again. very nice work....

Do you have pictures of the original case?

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007

Well the sub is magnetically sealed and and turned way down, If i were to crank some music or a movie Id take it off the comp. I had the same concerns as you when I put it up there.

Here's a link to the original case if you would like to see it. I didn't bother taking any myself because it would be hard to beat these pics at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147087