RAM Timing - Compatibility - Help Please

jasno

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Hello, I have a Asus M2N-E Motherboard that I have been using 1GB of XMS2 Corsair memory in. ( CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Timing -5-5-5-15 ) Voltage 1.9V )

I just purchased 4GB of XMS2 Corsair memory to upgrade. CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Timing -5-5-5-18) Voltage 1.9V )

But I am seeming to have a problem with the Computer booting with the new memory. I did not notice the timing was different on this 4GB XMS2 RAM when I bought it.

I heard someone say they had used this RAM with their M2N-E but I think they had to change some settings.

Could anyone please help me get this RAM working or point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
What do you mean when you say you are having trouble getting your computer booting? is it not posting? not loading windows? If you can still get to your bios then go there and make sure that the ram voltage and timings are set correctly for your new ram. If you can't get to your bios then put your old ram back in, load the bios, change the settings for the new ram, and then put the new ram in.

jasno

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
im sorry i dont know what the correct terminolgy is.

i put the 2 sticks of ram in either the 2 black or 2 yellow slots and turn the power on.... then the fans come on for about 3 seconds and then everything turns off.

i am afraid to change any settings in the Bios with the old ram in, because what if i change something in the bios and then neither the old RAM or the new RAM will get it to boot up?

then im pretty much screwed right?

goobaweazle

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I'm going to say, allthough my knowledge is not set in stone...

Do what kyeana said..

If the computer doesnt boot up after changing the settings with the old ram, with the new ram, you can change the setting in bios before boot.

If the computer doesnt post ie does nothing you can allways remove the cmos battery wait a short time, replace said battery and start over..

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Not at all. You can safely change the ram timings using the old ram because they are looser timings then your new ram and both run at the same voltage, so even if the new ram still doesn't work the old one will. Also if for some reason neither ram works after changing the bios setting you can simply reset the CMOS and it will restore the bios to defaults.
Hope this helps

insanet

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
i have a m2n-e totally evil. i have the bios fully updated and everything i have to underclock the ram(ddr2 800 from patriot 2 X 1gb) to 400(i think) and remove one of the sticks to get it to post even then cpu-z reports it running at 263.7 mhz. :(.
the sad part my parents bought me a 4870 for my birthday its like using a original da vinci painting as toilet tissue.