Sign in with
Your question

Crysis Very High settings/playable fps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2008 9:23:28 PM

Ok, so I've been reading all over the net that there are currently very few options for playing crysis on very high settings, IE, at a decent resolution. I was running one 8800gtx on an overclocked 3.1 quadcore and i definitely couldnt play at very high at 1680x1050. I had to drop it down to high on most things, and put post processing to medium. However, I bought a second gtx about 2 weeks ago and I can DEFINITELY play at very high settings. Everything is set to very high with the exception of post processing, which is at high. AA is off (the gains seem very minimal in this game, the trees are still choppy, plus if you have post processing at high, or very high there is an adaptive AA anyways so why use real AA). It's VERY smooth at 1680x1050 with everything on very high. I just found it very weird considering everywhere I look on the net everyone says you need like 2 9800gx2's to play at very high. Two 8800gtx definitely do the trick.
a c 273 U Graphics card
April 8, 2008 9:40:58 PM

hypocrisyforever said:
Ok, so I've been reading all over the net that there are currently very few options for playing crysis on very high settings, IE, at a decent resolution. I was running one 8800gtx on an overclocked 3.1 quadcore and i definitely couldnt play at very high at 1680x1050. I had to drop it down to high on most things, and put post processing to medium. However, I bought a second gtx about 2 weeks ago and I can DEFINITELY play at very high settings. Everything is set to very high with the exception of post processing, which is at high. AA is off (the gains seem very minimal in this game, the trees are still choppy, plus if you have post processing at high, or very high there is an adaptive AA anyways so why use real AA). It's VERY smooth at 1680x1050 with everything on very high. I just found it very weird considering everywhere I look on the net everyone says you need like 2 9800gx2's to play at very high. Two 8800gtx definitely do the trick.

Strangely enough a pair of 8800GT's can also allow that, and the Ultra setting is also quite playable (on XP to boot). :whistle: 
April 8, 2008 9:44:34 PM

I think too many people get wrapped up in thinkings 60 FPS/max settings is the bare minimum, and won't allow themselves to enjoy games that run below that. I can see where they are coming from, but yeah. . . thems some high standards. But to their credit, just about every game is doable to those specifications. Except the big C.
Related resources
April 8, 2008 9:55:07 PM

I play on very high with one card on xp and I enjoy the game completly.
a c 273 U Graphics card
April 8, 2008 9:56:05 PM

omahagtp said:
I think too many people get wrapped up in thinkings 60 FPS/max settings is the bare minimum, and won't allow themselves to enjoy games that run below that. I can see where they are coming from, but yeah. . . thems some high standards. But to their credit, just about every game is doable to those specifications. Except the big C.

For me it's all about keeping the minimum framerate as high as possible.
April 8, 2008 10:02:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Does your bolded word mean you think I disagree with you? lol
April 8, 2008 10:05:24 PM

^ yep, the minimum fps is a better yard stick for me. Just play and enjoy, forget about 60+fps averages.
a c 273 U Graphics card
April 8, 2008 10:07:54 PM

omahagtp said:
Does your bolded word mean you think I disagree with you? lol

No, it was meant for the 'others' who just read the acronyms Sli and fps and then start banging on about framerates not being doubled.
April 8, 2008 10:08:58 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Same here; as long as the minimum is 30fps or above then I'm satisfied.
April 8, 2008 10:18:14 PM

hypocrisyforever said:

What level are you playing at? Others have said that the demand on cards gets much higher when you do battle within the aliens lair. I haven't got that far yet but am finding it perfectly playable with a mixture of high / very high (shadows at medium) with a single 8800GTS 512 at 1280 x 1024.

Mousemonkey said:

Absolutely, and although I'm happy with the FPS at the moment with a good average there are obvious instances where the minimum is too slow.
At the end of Level 1 my FPS couldn't keep up with the dialogue spoken by the other charcters resulting in obvious lip-sync issues.
Methinks I'll have to turn down the settings before long as things get more hectic <sigh>.
April 8, 2008 10:23:44 PM

Yeah....I don't want to load this up with spoilers but im not yet to the aliens, but am deep in the firefights where just about everything starts blowing up. Also, to clarify, im not running at 60fps.....lol, but yeah, it's smooooooooooth, so im guessing it has to be 25-30min. I havent tried the gpu benchmark in the folder because anytime i try to exit out it crashes my vid driver....an sli issue with vista 64....but yeah...i think ide have to turn everything to medium to get 60fps.
!