Sign in with
Your question

Strange Booting Behaviour w/OC'd CPU

Last response: in Overclocking
December 1, 2008 6:44:03 PM

Hi,

When I oc my cpu my pc acts strange when booting. When I hit the power button lights go on, fans start to spin and then everything goes off for a short while and on again and boots into windows with no problem. Its like on-off-on again...

Also when I restart my pc it completely shuts down and powers on again. I mean its not like a reset it shuts down and turns on again. Like an automatic shut down and power on.

When I dont oc everything is normal.

But why does that happen ? Is it normal when you oc ?
December 1, 2008 7:00:42 PM

Sounds like instability, or your voltages are off a bit. Regardless, please post your spech (OC'ed, and non-OC'ed).
December 2, 2008 10:54:57 AM

Hi there,

My system specs

Asus P5E3 motherboard
Core2Q Q9400 ( w/thermaltake duorb cpu fan)
2x1GB Kingston 1333Mhz DDR3 ( not hyperx standard green dimms)
512mb HD4870
500gb Seagate hdd
650W Qfan Toughpower psu

My bios settings at 3.4ghz with that booting problem

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
Cpu Ratio Setting - 08.0
Fsb Strap To North Bridge - Auto
Fsb Frequency - 425
Dram Frequency - DDR3-1278 Mhz
Dram Command Rate - Auto
PCIE Frequency - 100

Fsb Termination Voltage - 1.5
CPU PLL - 1.4

Cpu Voltage - 1.23v (Tried 1.24, 125, 1.26,1.27,1.28,1.31, 1.30 same booting problem)
Load Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

C1E Support and Intel Speedstep disabled.

All other settings at auto or at their default values.

When I don't OC everything in biost is set to auto by default.

Can it be caused by my rams ? What's your opinion ? Any advice on these settings or others that should be done would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 2, 2008 11:23:18 AM

Ive noticed the same thing on my P5Q pro but ONLY if I had overclocking failed for whatever reason. System would then "start" for a second or two, then go off and then start again with default settings. I always assumed that its some kind of a safety feature. When your starts, does it keep the OC settings?
December 2, 2008 11:33:35 AM

Yes madmagik it keeps the oc settings and boots into windows. I even run all kinds of benchmarks and stuff. But even it does its disturbing to have a boot like that and seems to be a sign of a bad OC.
December 2, 2008 11:40:38 AM

Of Course I do set my overclock settings in bios (as you can see above) and dont actually know anyway to do it in windows.

Why did you need to say that ? Did I say anything like I am setting my overclock settings in windows ?
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 12:13:15 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood you.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 12:18:20 PM

650W Qfan Toughpower psu

You really should change that PSU. It may be the cause of your problems.

ATI Radeon HD 4870 System Requirements

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products.

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/requirements.h...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2008 12:26:19 PM

ITS NOT A PSU PROBLEM

Its a mobo issue

Its an Asus p5 series issue... I have a p5q mobo and it does the same exact thing... now let me explain it... if you actually read the features of the motherboard you'd have recognized this...

One of its features is its able to recover from failed overclocks... it does this by when the power is turned off... by booting into the normal bios and then having you reset the messed up clock...

But even if you have a completely stable overclock... it does the SAME exact thing... it boots into the normal bios when power has been completely shutoff (the powerblock you have it connected to) and when its turned back on it loads the default bios... BUT it realizes the system did not have a bios error, so it doesn't need to do that thereby making it restart and load the correct bios

Its an issue with mobo, it says it in features... don't make him buy a psu when it is not the psu, its a known issue with the p5 series
December 2, 2008 3:48:56 PM

First of all thank you very much for the replies. Yes actually I thought my psu was good enough for a single card and also for duo-card solutions since its SLI Certified (I think it can handle Crossfire too since its SLI Certified )

Thogrom thanks for the amazing info. So can it be said that if you have a asus p5 series of mobo and you do overclock your cpu you have to live and be happy with that strange booting behaviour. It happens exactly like you explain. On-Off- again On with overclocked settings. Like tries to load default bios instead of overclocked but then relaizes that there's no problem with overclocked one and then goes off and on again with overclocked settings.

But isn't there any solution to that ? I realized that there is O.C Profile options in Bios. It seems to me that we can save our overclocked settings in those o.c profiles ( options like save to profile 1, save to profile 2 etc. ) but can we make the mobo and how to directly boot with one of those oc profiles without letting it act like on-off-on again ? If we use those profiles would it let us choose the booting options like with for ex. 1.default bios 2.oc profile 1 etc. And maybe then no on-off-on issue and boots directly at once with the profile you choose ?

What do you think ?

Thanks,
December 2, 2008 4:11:23 PM

I agree with thogrom, it's not a problem but a feature. My brother runs a P5Q with an e2160 @ 3.5ghz and he has the exact same on-off rebooting that you are describing. His OC runs prime95 for days on end, absolutely stable. I say just forget about it and enjoy your OC!
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2008 5:12:06 PM

also turn down fsb as 1.5v is too high.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 5:22:22 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize that is a Thermaltake QFan Toughpower. It is a Tier 2 brand.
A good power supply!
December 2, 2008 6:44:06 PM

richardscott said:
also turn down fsb as 1.5v is too high.

What do you think fsb should be instead of 1.5v for Q9400 ?
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2008 8:12:27 PM

erm less than 1.4 try 1.2-1.35
December 3, 2008 3:14:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and report back. Any other advices about other settings ?
December 3, 2008 3:46:49 PM

I wonder if that feature is only on the early vershion of each board, I have a P5Q-E and I have spent a lot of time taking my Q6600 up to 3.6 and back down to 3.2 and I have never had my board do that. Maybe it's a fix in some bios's that keep it from doing that.

But even that, if it was a fix in some bios's why it wouldn't be in a fix for older bios's if you flashed them.
December 4, 2008 8:24:01 AM

I have flashed it. I have been using the latest bios 1201 for a long time. When ı bought my mobo it came with bios 904 on it. I never tried to overclock it with 904. All my overclock work was with bios 1201 but i don't actually think that it would make any difference about this weird booting behaviour.
December 4, 2008 8:25:36 AM

richardscott said:
erm less than 1.4 try 1.2-1.35

Everything seems to be fine with 1.2 - 1.3v for fsb termination voltage at 3.4Ghz. But this didn't solve that booting issue.
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 9:51:27 AM

this happened on my friends mobo it was a 650i and it was sloved my more vcore, also try to fint what the voltages are that are in auto and set them to values a lil bit higher than what the auto values are.
December 4, 2008 9:58:52 AM

how can I solve what their auto values are richard ? It just says auto. No other info in bios. How can I see what their auto values actually are ?
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 10:04:49 AM

programs like asus probe for asus mobo's can tell you what the values for certin voltages are. or you could just set them at the lowest and if they make it unstable the take them higher untill its stable.

okay try 1.35-1.4 for the vcore
erm dont know what voltage for ure ram.
1.4 for the northbridge
1.5 for the pll
1.3 for fsb term
leave others at auto and see if that makes it stable.
December 4, 2008 10:15:02 AM

richardscott said:
programs like asus probe for asus mobo's can tell you what the values for certin voltages are. or you could just set them at the lowest and if they make it unstable the take them higher untill its stable.

okay try 1.35-1.4 for the vcore
erm dont know what voltage for ure ram.
1.4 for the northbridge
1.5 for the pll
1.3 for fsb term
leave others at auto and see if that makes it stable.

It says max voltage for Q9400 is 1.36250 at Intel's site. I guess 1.4 is hign i can try max 1.36 right ?
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 10:25:14 AM

sure the max for my cpu is also 1.36 but im running it at 1.6 :D 
December 4, 2008 10:52:35 AM

:D  well good then...

My ram voltage is 1.5V by default. And timings are like 9-9-9-24. Any suggestions on that ?

Thank you very much for help by the way..
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 11:07:40 AM

rams fine, if it still isnt stable then ure going to have to go to higher vcore. or you can mess with gtl ref values, but thats to complicated so i leave on auto.
December 4, 2008 11:17:26 AM

Hey Richard,

I know it is already too many questions but lastly I wanna ask you something.

For 3.4Ghz when i set fsb freq to 425 dram freq gives me those options closest to my rams 1333mhz standart. 1278mhz or 1361mhz.

Since by choosing 1361mhz i am crossing the line for my ram speeds a little so i always preferred using 1278Mhz. But what about 1361mhz ? Only 28mhz of difference with my standart of 1333mhz is good to go ? What do you think ?
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 12:11:39 PM

wel see if it works, also you could set ure ram a lil higher with some more voltage through them, i can easily run my 1066ram at 1100 with 2.2v which is only .1 above what they need at standard. if it doesnt run stable then use the lower mem timeing, you wont notice any speed difference in windows anyway.
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 12:23:12 PM

oh and post back when u have finished tinkering i want to know how far u get.
December 4, 2008 2:32:42 PM

Well with settings below for the first time i got an error message at the bios post and had to revert back to standarts...

Error was something like " Overclocking failed ! Enter Setup to change your settings "

Tried 450 fsb with same settings for 3.6Ghz but could not boot into windows. It freezed at windows loading page.

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
Cpu Ratio Setting - 08.0
Fsb Strap To North Bridge - Auto
Fsb Frequency - 425
Dram Frequency - DDR3-1361 Mhz
Dram Command Rate - 2N
PCIE Frequency - 100

Fsb Termination Voltage - 1.3
CPU PLL - 1.5
NB Voltage - 1.4

Cpu Voltage - 1.35v (Tried 1.33, 1.35, 136 same result)
Load Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

C1E Support and Intel Speedstep disabled.
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 4:58:28 PM

hmmm try to lower your ram speed or loosen the timeings, everything else looks good tho :p .
December 4, 2008 6:01:11 PM

I have just set nb voltage to 1.49 and cpu voltage to 1.375v / vdroop 1.34v and here I am in windows and everything looks fine and stable for 30 minutes. But of course I have to run some tests to ensure stability. I guess its a matter of time to see how stable it is.

Big score is, that srange booting behaviour (on-off-on again) went away with those settings. It directly boots up at once !

And the question is is nb voltage of 1.49 and core voltage of 1.375v are too high ?

Idle temps are like 24C 28C 29C 34C with CoreTemp. I haven't loaded it yet I will and see what load temps are like...
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 6:59:51 PM

nope both well below whats dangerous
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 7:01:17 PM

well hopefully all goes well and its stable, then congrats, if not well just bump the voltages up a notch and it will be stable. oh also save ure settings incase something happens lol.
December 5, 2008 12:51:15 PM

Nope. tried to lower the vcore to 1.3625v and was inwindows for 20 minutes then decided to run 3dmark06 and see what happens but not even after 10 min it started to run bingo ! reset !

I didn't try to run any benchmark or testing with vcore set to 1.37v but was stable in windows for nearly an hour.

Is the golden key hidden in those dram settings, timings etc. Always concentrating on voltages but what about ram settings ? Since I have no idea what to do with them I always left them at auto till now...
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2008 2:13:57 PM

you need to find the specs for the timeing and then type them in.
December 5, 2008 3:11:04 PM

Timings and voltage should be stamped on the chip itself
December 5, 2008 6:47:48 PM

olddman said:
Timings and voltage should be stamped on the chip itself

Stamped on the chip itself ? What do u mean ? Where ? Voltage is there ok but i cant see any timings on the chip.

I guess I can see them in cpu-z but I guess dont have any idea what I am looking at. I mean in bios 1st information line seems to be like 9-9-9-24.....but I cant see such a lining in cpu-z or its there maybe but I dont know how to read the ram info from the cpu-z...

Even if timings were written on chip itself do u mean that all I have to do is set those values manually in bios ? I was thinking that since I am overclocking cpu I had to set suitable values for my overclock to succeed.

If all I have to do is set the default values written on the chip manually in bios so whats the difference between leaving those settings at auto and entering them manually ?

Thanks,

December 5, 2008 7:09:51 PM

Oh yeah ! Thanks to tomshardware they are all http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr3-1333-speed-lat... here

But in this article same rams as mine kingston 1333mhz only difference is it says detected those are 10700G mine are 10700H and detected timings for the ram in this article are like 8-8-8-24 I guess mine is 9-9-9-24...

And still confused about for ex. when going for 450x8 3.6Ghz which timings would be more suitable ? 416, 500, 583 or 667 ? Whats the criteria to make it easier to decide ?
!