Trabsfer to new drive slow

jimbonewbie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I recently got my replacement seagate barracuda drive back from RMA which is my secondary drive. I installed it and partitioned it using the drive management tool in vista. But when I went to transfer my 48GB itunes library from my C drive to one of the partitions in my RMA'd secondary drive it is dead slow. The transfer starts out at 50isMB/sec then rapidly slows down to 1mb/sec within 3 minutes. I don't really want to wait 24hrs plus to back up my stuff. I bet if I left it for awhile it would eventually show several days. Need some suggestions

jimbonewbie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Also I would like to mention it seems to really slow everything else down when I try to use this drive. For instance if I try to open a browser window it shows up in 1 or 2 minutes not right away like it usually does. Also I forgot to mention that when I first booted it up with my new drive in my computer it showed an error of some kind, I forgot what it was but it had something to do with new hardware. Is it possible to have a bad RMA item that is bad. The HDD casing says recertified.

r_manic

Administrator
I'm assuming that your hard disk is causing your CPU usage to shoot up, that's why everything slows down. Did you properly install your second hard drive? I think you need to check if it's properly slaved to your first drive.

What is your motherboard, and what exactly are your first and secondary HDs?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
HMMP!! For what it is worth ,it is my opinion that your first error was in using any windoze to setup your hdd,because it has been my experience that sooner or later the system will snafu..
Consider looking at the hdd with fdisk,and consider refdisking it with fdisk from Dos,and,if you can keep the usage of ntfs to a minimum if you examine an ntfs partition with a defrag utility like Ultimate Defrag you will see that the MFT takes a position in the most valuable part of your hdd's real estate right at the beginning where the best tracks are and some MFT's are huge,BTW fat 32's are faster than ntfs,which are only needful if you have files bigger than 4g,,of course other people might/will see things differently..:)

sturm

Splendid
Is it an IDE or sata drive?
If sata what mode is is it in? IDE emulation or SATA?
Check the DMA setting for the drive. If it's in PIO mode thats your problem. It should be DMA 5 or higher.