Sign in with
Your question

Mac and Windows partition?

Last response: in Storage
May 20, 2009 8:24:12 PM

I have a Maxtor Onetouch Mini 4 external drive and I want to partition it into two portions, one for my Powerbook and the other for my Dell notebook. Is this possible?

More about : mac windows partition

a b G Storage
May 21, 2009 7:53:12 AM

AFAIK yes. Once you plug it in, the computer will recognize both partitions and ideally automatically assign drive letters to each.

Do you have to see both partitions on whatever computer you're using? If not, may I suggest you format one partition as HFS+ and the other as NTFS? FAT32, though compatible with both OSes, has a 4GB file-size limit.
May 21, 2009 4:37:37 PM

i think he will have to stick with a fat32 partition for the windows size because i think mac OSX cannot read the NTFS file system
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 21, 2009 8:26:16 PM

captaincharisma said:
i think he will have to stick with a fat32 partition for the windows size because i think mac OSX cannot read the NTFS file system

Why does that matter? If the partitions are separate, it eliminates that problem. Besides, windows can't read HFS+ either.

Oh, and I thought the latest versions of OSX were NTFS compatible. I'm not sure, because I don't follow macs very closely, but I could have sworn I heard about that somewhere...
a b G Storage
May 22, 2009 3:58:25 AM

Actually I was mistaken in my first post. Mac OS X can't read NTFS partitions. But like you said, they're separate. So it's no biggie.

Again OP, if you want either computer to see everything you place on the hard disk, you'll have to use FAT32, as its the only format understood by both Windows and OS X. Then again, watch out for that 4GB size limit!
!