Sign in with
Your question

WDS or multiple SSIDs?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 20, 2009 12:05:44 PM

I would really appreciate some advice on the following set up:

- ADSL router upstairs, connected to master telephone socket for best ADSL connection. Wifi turned off. WDS capable.
- Wireless Access Point downstairs, connected to ADSL router via ethernet cable. Also WDS capable.

ISP <-ADSL-> ADSL Router <-> Ethernet <-> WAP

The wireless signal upstairs is not great, so I want to enable Wifi on the ADSL Router. Which would be the best way to go:

1) Enable WDS on both devices. The question I have here is would the WAP route traffic to the ADSL Router via Wifi rather than ethernet?

2) Configure a different SSID on the ADSL Router. Less convenient, but could live with it.

3) Configure the same SSID on the ADSL Router as the WAP, but no WDS. Would I need to use different channels? Would this even work?

Thanks

MB

More about : wds multiple ssids

May 21, 2009 10:41:07 AM

Stick with WDS on both devices. Much more elegant that way. Also, if you decide to implement any security measures, you only have to do so once.

Regarding traffic routing, I think WDS-enabled devices rely on wireless by default.
m
l
May 21, 2009 1:03:27 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a go. I'm a bit worried about performance, as the ADSL Router also has a desktop PC connected via ethernet, and this is used as a file server (soon to be replaced by a NAS device) so speed is of the essence.

m
l
!