I would really appreciate some advice on the following set up:
- ADSL router upstairs, connected to master telephone socket for best ADSL connection. Wifi turned off. WDS capable.
- Wireless Access Point downstairs, connected to ADSL router via ethernet cable. Also WDS capable.
ISP <-ADSL-> ADSL Router <-> Ethernet <-> WAP
The wireless signal upstairs is not great, so I want to enable Wifi on the ADSL Router. Which would be the best way to go:
1) Enable WDS on both devices. The question I have here is would the WAP route traffic to the ADSL Router via Wifi rather than ethernet?
2) Configure a different SSID on the ADSL Router. Less convenient, but could live with it.
3) Configure the same SSID on the ADSL Router as the WAP, but no WDS. Would I need to use different channels? Would this even work?
Thanks. I'll give it a go. I'm a bit worried about performance, as the ADSL Router also has a desktop PC connected via ethernet, and this is used as a file server (soon to be replaced by a NAS device) so speed is of the essence.