Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video Card Upgrade for Dell Dimension 8400

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 9, 2008 3:41:46 PM

I would like to upgrade my current ATI Radeon x800 xt video card, I believe it is using PCI-E slot with 350 watt power supply. I have Dell Dimension 8400.
I was recommended by Dell to upgrade to Nvidia 8800 GT since it only requires 425 power supply and existing 350watt should be able to handle it.

1)is that the best video card I can upgrade to for 3d gaming?
2)I have seen some 8800 GTs on Newegg over clocked to 700MHz Core speed, do they require more power is it safer for me to go with regular 600Mhz?

a b Î Nvidia
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2008 11:49:29 PM

steve303 said:
I would like to upgrade my current ATI Radeon x800 xt video card, I believe it is using PCI-E slot with 350 watt power supply. I have Dell Dimension 8400.
I was recommended by Dell to upgrade to Nvidia 8800 GT since it only requires 425 power supply and existing 350watt should be able to handle it.

1)is that the best video card I can upgrade to for 3d gaming?
2)I have seen some 8800 GTs on Newegg over clocked to 700MHz Core speed, do they require more power is it safer for me to go with regular 600Mhz?


1) Without upgrading the psu, the GT is about as far as you should go.
2) Buy the stock clocked card and overclock yourself.
Anonymous
April 10, 2008 12:22:52 AM

Get the 9600GT or an HD3870
Related resources
April 10, 2008 12:24:53 AM

steve303 said:
I would like to upgrade my current ATI Radeon x800 xt video card, I believe it is using PCI-E slot with 350 watt power supply. I have Dell Dimension 8400.
I was recommended by Dell to upgrade to Nvidia 8800 GT since it only requires 425 power supply and existing 350watt should be able to handle it.

1)is that the best video card I can upgrade to for 3d gaming?
2)I have seen some 8800 GTs on Newegg over clocked to 700MHz Core speed, do they require more power is it safer for me to go with regular 600Mhz?



8800GTS will work fine in that
8800GT's are overheating nightmares I'd stay away from them and 9600GT is a waste of money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 10, 2008 5:46:11 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheaper too. Same as GTS but this one OC better for roughly $100, if you want to spend $150 try the 9600GT if you want to spend $200 get the 8800GTS 512 (G92) which if you check the egg can get for $200 which is AWESOME.

Edit: Drop the 9600GT altogether as the 8800GS beats it for the most part and wherever the 9600GT would win, doesn't justify the extra cash. I would now say either spend $100ish on a 8800GS or $200 on 8800GTS
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 7:49:24 PM

bildo123 said:

Edit: Drop the 9600GT altogether as the 8800GS beats it for the most part and wherever the 9600GT would win, doesn't justify the extra cash. I would now say either spend $100ish on a 8800GS or $200 on 8800GTS

I concur!
October 21, 2008 12:38:55 PM

Hi

I have the same spec Dell Dimension 8400 as the o/p, can I install a 9800 GT and run it on this spec?

(I'm a noob at hardware and graphics cards so please go easy with the techie speak ;)  )

Thanks :) 
October 21, 2008 3:17:46 PM

Frenchie said:
Hi

I have the same spec Dell Dimension 8400 as the o/p, can I install a 9800 GT and run it on this spec?

(I'm a noob at hardware and graphics cards so please go easy with the techie speak ;)  )

Thanks :) 


I believe the 9800GT actually IS a 8800GT, just named differently so the naming convention makes sense. So judging by that if they say a 8800GT will work then so should a 9800GT. Worse case scenario I just specd out a nice system for my buddy and found this VERY nice Antec Earthwatts 80+ PSU. 430W but it has two 12V rails, each about 17A (plenty enough as my 500W thermaltake only has 15A on the first rail and 14A on the second and all runs fine with similar specs)


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006




October 23, 2008 9:24:13 AM

Thanks very much, it's installed and working, and much better than the old one!!! It does say that the power supply is insufficient and therefore it has lowered performance but its still far better :) 
a b Î Nvidia
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 11:01:50 AM

Frenchie said:
It does say that the power supply is insufficient and therefore it has lowered performance

Is the power cable connected ?
October 23, 2008 11:07:14 AM

Doh, yeah I need to connect it, the old graphics card just went into the slot and that's what I did with this one, I wondered what that cable was for :??: 
Thanks again :) 
December 19, 2008 9:59:48 PM

Interesting. I just bought an 8600GT and I'm getting a boot error about it only being able to read at 1x instead of 16x...

No bios options to change and other people with a Dimension 8400 have had similar issues. What bios v. are you running? I have A09.
!