Sign in with
Your question

Need serious help with new pc build "DFI DK X38-T2R"

Last response: in Motherboards
May 22, 2008 12:44:04 AM

I just tried building my second pc ever and cant get it to boot. I don't know too much about this kind of stuff so please help.

Here are the specs.

DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R

Intel Q6600

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)

ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2

Seagate Barracuda 500GB

When I first started it up after putting it together everything looked fine, but no display on my monitor and the led display on the motherboard would show C1, 26, 33, 52, 75, 96, and then stop on FF. I assumed this meant it was passing all of those tests and then stopping on FF which is boot I think.

Another forum told me to try clearing the bios, so I did, and now I still get no display and it stops on code 7F unless I continuously push delete while its running through the numbers, then it stops on 75.

This is the problem as best as I can explain it. Please help me.

More about : build dfi x38 t2r

May 22, 2008 1:04:52 AM

Probably wont work because you have no power supply. LOL jusk kidding. It would help to know what powr supply you got.

Try with one stick of ram. The ram may be under volted and one stick may allow it to boot.

Your ram requires 1.95 or 2.0 depending on model. Since your using 4G it may need .1 more the spec.
May 22, 2008 1:19:48 AM

The power supply is the one that came with my alienware case it says HIPRO model: HP-W700WC3. I've tried using just one stick of ram and that made no difference. and this is the ram I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To tell you the truth I'm about ready to box my stuff up and send it all back.
Related resources
May 22, 2008 1:46:50 AM

Try taking out one of the video cards, one of the sticks of ram and seeing if you can get into the bios. It may be that it doesn't like the crossfire setup to start out with and things need to be configured.
May 22, 2008 1:54:58 AM

Oh sorry, its not two 3870's, it one 3870X2. I should have made that a little more clear.

Is it possible that my video card was DOA, and when I reset the BIOS it got corrupt?
May 23, 2008 1:56:55 AM

I just took it in to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, and they tested it with a different video card and it worked.

I've read that these cards can be a pain to setup sometimes. Do you think its a dead card, or my motherboard just isn't recognizing it for some reason?
June 9, 2008 5:52:29 PM

cterry04 said:
I just took it in to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, and they tested it with a different video card and it worked.

I've read that these cards can be a pain to setup sometimes. Do you think its a dead card, or my motherboard just isn't recognizing it for some reason?

Hi

Sorry just having a trawl around for threads that don't start 'HELP MY COMPUTER IS OVERHEATING' or 'WHICH CPU SHOULD I GET THE Q6600 OR THE E9950'!! Hence why I am late to the party!!

If you look up the specs. for that PSU (which look not very spectacular) it has 4x 12V rails at 16A each (= 192Watts).

I then refer you to:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
Plug in the 3870X2 (-38Watts) = 155Watts.
Also:
https://techspot.com/review/86-ati-radeon-hd-3870-x2/page9.html

So your GPU is running close to the capacity of 1x 12V rail.

If possible it might help if you can power the card with PCIe-8 pin and PCIe-6 pin connectors on separate 12V rails??
(For testing purposes you could use 2x of those stupid 4 pin molex to PCIe-6 pin power convertors!!)

Personally I would think a PSU with beafer 12V rails would be more the ticket!! The Corsair 620Watt HX PSU has 3x 18A 12V rails and can combine the rails internally if required. They also have a 1000Watt modular PSU out now as well... I use an Ultra X3 1000Watt model and that is a nice build as well.

Ideally you might have a friend who just happens to have a high quality 750Watt PSU lying around... !! :pt1cable: 

I presume you have updated your motherboard BIOS... DFI often release boards with an immature BIOS and let there consumers do the testing - as I am sure you are aware!

It could be worth contacting DFI techie support for help with the problem. If you have a LED BIOS error code output (and the motherboard isn't starved for power during POST) then this could be meaningful... I recently contacted them with a really stupid request (motherboard I/O plate and audio riser for a second hand NF4 board (you know the sort of spam most motherboard manufacturers - certainly Tyan and Gigabyte - completely ignore!!)... I got the parts within a week of emailing them - like wow!!

Do update us with progress... Sounds like a nice build. I for one would like to hear how ATI are doing with their newer X2 drivers!!

Bob

June 14, 2008 4:13:27 AM

Hey man its the DFI board. Check there forums. I have the same problem with my X48. Some thing to do with the Award Bios or the drivers they say. No use there is no fix as of yet and its been a problem since the 3870x2 came out. Best advice. Swap out either the Card or the mobo. Its a blame game between DFI and ATI. Also gigabyte has this problem as well.
!