What are these files and where did they come from??!!

Hi everybody,
New member and a "newbie" at that.
To begin with have a Physical drive 160GB, partitioned into Primary(C:) and
2 logical drives(I: and J:). I use my I: drive to download programmes and my
documents to.
On checking my "Downloaded Programms" folder last night I found the
following files which I have no idea of where they came from.
1. mss16.dll
3.0.0.0
2. mss32.dll
3.0.0.0
3. mssb16.tsk
TSK File
5KB
4. msvcirt.dll
4.20.0.6164
Microsoft(R) C++ Runtime library
5. msvcrt.dll
4.20.0.6164
Microsoft(R) Runtime library
6. sh33w.32.dll
3.3.1.0

Any ideas as to what these are/where they may have come from?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and waiting in anticipation.
Regards
--
littlefella
3 answers Last reply

    "lucky" <lucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody,
    > New member and a "newbie" at that.
    > To begin with have a Physical drive 160GB, partitioned into Primary(C:)
    > and
    > 2 logical drives(I: and J:). I use my I: drive to download programmes and
    > my
    > documents to.
    > On checking my "Downloaded Programms" folder last night I found the
    > following files which I have no idea of where they came from.
    > 1. mss16.dll
    > 3.0.0.0
    > 2. mss32.dll
    > 3.0.0.0
    > 3. mssb16.tsk
    > TSK File
    > 5KB
    > 4. msvcirt.dll
    > 4.20.0.6164
    > Microsoft(R) C++ Runtime library
    > 5. msvcrt.dll
    > 4.20.0.6164
    > Microsoft(R) Runtime library
    > 6. sh33w.32.dll
    > 3.3.1.0
    >
    > Any ideas as to what these are/where they may have come from?
    >
    > Any input would be greatly appreciated and waiting in anticipation.
    > Regards
    > --
    > littlefella

    Some of these files appear to be related to WinAmp or a Scientific Word
    editor. Did you recently install these? The MSVCRT files are basic
    Microsoft C/C++ support library files.

    Try doing Google searches on these file names.

    HTH
    -pk

    Yep, that folder is used to download IE plug-ins, so that'd be normal.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
    > "lucky" <lucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi everybody,
    >> New member and a "newbie" at that.
    >> To begin with have a Physical drive 160GB, partitioned into Primary(C:)
    >> and
    >> 2 logical drives(I: and J:). I use my I: drive to download programmes and
    >> my
    >> documents to.
    >> On checking my "Downloaded Programms" folder last night I found the
    >> following files which I have no idea of where they came from.
    >> 1. mss16.dll
    >> 3.0.0.0
    >> 2. mss32.dll
    >> 3.0.0.0
    >> 3. mssb16.tsk
    >> TSK File
    >> 5KB
    >> 4. msvcirt.dll
    >> 4.20.0.6164
    >> Microsoft(R) C++ Runtime library
    >> 5. msvcrt.dll
    >> 4.20.0.6164
    >> Microsoft(R) Runtime library
    >> 6. sh33w.32.dll
    >> 3.3.1.0
    >>
    >> Any ideas as to what these are/where they may have come from?
    >>
    >> Any input would be greatly appreciated and waiting in anticipation.
    >> Regards
    >> --
    >> littlefella
    >
    > Some of these files appear to be related to WinAmp or a Scientific Word
    > editor. Did you recently install these? The MSVCRT files are basic
    > Microsoft C/C++ support library files.
    >
    > Try doing Google searches on these file names.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk

    littlefella

    "lucky" wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    > New member and a "newbie" at that.
    > To begin with have a Physical drive 160GB, partitioned into Primary(C:) and
    > 2 logical drives(I: and J:). I use my I: drive to download programmes and my
    > documents to.
    > On checking my "Downloaded Programms" folder last night I found the
    > following files which I have no idea of where they came from.
    > 1. mss16.dll
    > 3.0.0.0
    > 2. mss32.dll
    > 3.0.0.0
    > 3. mssb16.tsk
    > TSK File
    > 5KB
    > 4. msvcirt.dll
    > 4.20.0.6164
    > Microsoft(R) C++ Runtime library
    > 5. msvcrt.dll
    > 4.20.0.6164
    > Microsoft(R) Runtime library
    > 6. sh33w.32.dll
    > 3.3.1.0
    >
    > Any ideas as to what these are/where they may have come from?
    >
    > Any input would be greatly appreciated and waiting in anticipation.
    > Regards
    > --
    > littlefella

Microsoft Windows XP