What are these files and where did they come from??!!

August 5, 2005 9:59:46 PM

Hi everybody,
New member and a "newbie" at that.
To begin with have a Physical drive 160GB, partitioned into Primary(C:)  and
2 logical drives(I: and J:) . I use my I: drive to download programmes and my
documents to.
On checking my "Downloaded Programms" folder last night I found the
following files which I have no idea of where they came from.
1. mss16.dll
3.0.0.0
2. mss32.dll
3.0.0.0
3. mssb16.tsk
TSK File
5KB
4. msvcirt.dll
4.20.0.6164
Microsoft(R) C++ Runtime library
5. msvcrt.dll
4.20.0.6164
Microsoft(R) Runtime library
6. sh33w.32.dll
3.3.1.0

Any ideas as to what these are/where they may have come from?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and waiting in anticipation.
Regards
--
littlefella

More about : files

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:50:18 AM

"lucky" <lucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
> New member and a "newbie" at that.
> To begin with have a Physical drive 160GB, partitioned into Primary(C:)
> and
> 2 logical drives(I: and J:) . I use my I: drive to download programmes and
> my
> documents to.
> On checking my "Downloaded Programms" folder last night I found the
> following files which I have no idea of where they came from.
> 1. mss16.dll
> 3.0.0.0
> 2. mss32.dll
> 3.0.0.0
> 3. mssb16.tsk
> TSK File
> 5KB
> 4. msvcirt.dll
> 4.20.0.6164
> Microsoft(R) C++ Runtime library
> 5. msvcrt.dll
> 4.20.0.6164
> Microsoft(R) Runtime library
> 6. sh33w.32.dll
> 3.3.1.0
>
> Any ideas as to what these are/where they may have come from?
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated and waiting in anticipation.
> Regards
> --
> littlefella

Some of these files appear to be related to WinAmp or a Scientific Word
editor. Did you recently install these? The MSVCRT files are basic
Microsoft C/C++ support library files.

Try doing Google searches on these file names.

HTH
-pk
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:59:23 PM

Yep, that folder is used to download IE plug-ins, so that'd be normal.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
> "lucky" <lucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi everybody,
>> New member and a "newbie" at that.
>> To begin with have a Physical drive 160GB, partitioned into Primary(C:)
>> and
>> 2 logical drives(I: and J:) . I use my I: drive to download programmes and
>> my
>> documents to.
>> On checking my "Downloaded Programms" folder last night I found the
>> following files which I have no idea of where they came from.
>> 1. mss16.dll
>> 3.0.0.0
>> 2. mss32.dll
>> 3.0.0.0
>> 3. mssb16.tsk
>> TSK File
>> 5KB
>> 4. msvcirt.dll
>> 4.20.0.6164
>> Microsoft(R) C++ Runtime library
>> 5. msvcrt.dll
>> 4.20.0.6164
>> Microsoft(R) Runtime library
>> 6. sh33w.32.dll
>> 3.3.1.0
>>
>> Any ideas as to what these are/where they may have come from?
>>
>> Any input would be greatly appreciated and waiting in anticipation.
>> Regards
>> --
>> littlefella
>
> Some of these files appear to be related to WinAmp or a Scientific Word
> editor. Did you recently install these? The MSVCRT files are basic
> Microsoft C/C++ support library files.
>
> Try doing Google searches on these file names.
>
> HTH
> -pk

August 7, 2005 9:53:39 PM

littlefella