Is my motherboard gone bad?

nicros

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I have been having some issues with my homebuilt system, primarily that it hangs on the bios display page, cannot load the operating system, or even load up the OS repair dvd properly.

Sometimes it seems to work, and will be stable for some days or even a week or two, but then it dies again, sometimes with an nvidia error (maybe a clue maybe not).

Here are my specs:
evga 680i mobo
2G geil ram
2 samsung 250G drives
1 western digital 10k raptor 150G drive
evga 8800 GTX video card

Those are the interesting components. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I suspect I have a bum mobo but I really dont want to rip it out without some degree of certainty that it is the problem

Thanks!

miamirain

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
What exact message do you get when it fails to get through BIOS? Was it a blue screen with the NVGTS.sys message? It's an well known problem with 680i and 780i boards, I read about it before I bought my 780i. Seems it was caused by the Media Center software that came with the motherboard CD, I did not install the Media Center software so I've never seen the problem myself. If you get the computer to boot up correctly, uninstall that software or just do a clean install of Windows, install the LAN and Audio drivers from the CD and stop there.