Nooby Upgrade Helphttp://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/message/

topman_1965

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an Alienware Area 51 that has died on me, CPU Motherboard? It has a 3.4 p4 on an abit motherboard. With the price drops on the core 2 duos,I have decided on on the e6750 cpu. I am a nooby,but have been lurking here for some time and am aware that the 6750 is old news,but I only play OBLIVION,and NWN and games of that genre. If the 6750 is not enough for those games please let me know. I am also going to need a proper motherboard that will fit my needs. As far as graphics card goes,I have an ATI x850xl,I know its an old card, but will be fine for now,( If its compatible) may upgrade at a later date. Also what about my hard drive,Will it be a problem as I am changing out cpu's?One final note I am not an OC'r,but would like that option with the MB Thanks

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Im hoping the x850xl is a PCI-e version otherwise your choices are somewhat limited.

If its AGP you will either have to get a new video card when you get the motherboard or will have to get something like the AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 which has AGP and PCI-e

If its PCI-e your options are limitless, and i would look for a P35 chipset from either Asus or Gigabyte.

mi1ez

Splendid
I'm with Chookman, and since you've got a PCI card, the world is your proverbial oyster.

The Gigabyte GA-P35 series is very popular, along with the Asus P5K series.

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

mmm was the P4 Prescott top of the food chain.................

NEVER......

It was the first spontaniable combustionized processor ever...

A nuclear reactor on you door step..

More than likely your P4 Melted the innards of your little furnace...

I would consider a new graphic card tho as it will deteriorate your appreciation of you core 2 duo...

For a little more u could get the Quad 6600 and be more future proof by over clocking it to 3GHz with nothing more than a little tweek in the bios to 333 front side bus then it will rock more than Jon Bon Jovi...

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

But u got the jist though..

Whos Warrant and Ratt sounds like someone who makes lawn mowers..

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Hey if your lookin to overclock the CPU, dont get the 6750, although it is still a decent chip. Its to high priced compared to its newer counter parts. For roughly the same price you can get a e8200 or e8400 depending where you shop.

Or you could do like me and buy the e7200, and overclock it just as high as the e8400 can go. Mine cost $159USD at tigerdirect.com.

topman_1965

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the info guys,I will look into the the new chips. I believe from my research I will go with the Gigabyte board, If I do get the 8400 What about the flashing the bios thing? Is it something that would give someone with my limited experience a problem? Also when I install the new hardware will my existing Hard drive be compatible? It has xp and of course the old MB was socket 775. Also memory suggestions please. Im doing this like next week. Im getting more nervous by the minute.