Evaluate my NAS video streaming setup

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I'm putting together a NAS setup to allow my PS3 to stream video onto my TV. I was hoping to get some feedback on the components I've chosen and what type of performance I should expect.

The planned setup:
Gigabit router 4x ports
1x to 360
1x to PS3
1x to 30ft cable leading to gigabit switch
1x to cable modem
Gigabit switch with 4 ports used
1x to computer 1
1x to computer 2
1x to NAS
1x to gigabit router
Synology DS109j
1x Western Digital WD10EADS 1TB 5400 drive
1x USB printer

So the concerns I have are:
-The 30ft of network cable between the NAS and the PS3 (may slow things down)
-A switch between the NAS and the PS3 (may slow things down, cause conflicts)
-The hard drive isn't super fast (I figured the network would be the bottleneck, not the drive speed)

Thanks for any feedback. The components haven't arrived yet, so I can always send something back if you think it will be an issue.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
seems ok cable wont slow it down.. make sure its at least cat 5e, or cat 6 and dont run it over any florescent lights etc

the only problem might be the NAS. some of them will only go 10-15MB/sec despite being connected with gigabit I couldnt find a review with the actual speed of that model.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I found this review with speeds listed:
The average upload and download speed for Synology DS109j are 11MB/s and 35MB/s.

Not sure if that's good or not. Is it sufficient? Is it in line with performance I should expect at $250 Thanks again for the help. :)

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
well.. iirc BD is 30mb/s?? and what are you going to put on that nas, not BDs!.. so 11mb/s should be sufficient(considering a good encoded film of lets say 10mb/s) if your not trying to stream to more than one unit/tv at the same time..

could be that my concept of theory is wrong, since you streaming data, and letting the ps3 or whatever decode the movie, it's all different..

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Looks like I should have gone with the LinkStation Pro™ LS-XHL. It's about 2-3 times faster and costs about the same.

I'm going to try out the Synology anyways. I'll put it through the full test cycle. I'll make sure I can stream video in all of the formats it supports in various sizes. If it can hold up without skipping a beat, I'll keep it.