Finished my build.......but have a problem.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
I have just finished building my new PC.......the specs are as follows.

CPU - E8200
MOBO - P5K-SE
GPU - ASUS 3870 512MB
HDD - 250GB WD
PSU - Corsair 620W
DVD - ASUS 20x DVD RW
Fan - Arctic square
CASE - Raidmax Aztec
RAM - Corsair XMS2 (2x1GB)

After building I had some initial problems with the Bios of my motherboard......so i updated it from v.401 to v.901.....it seemed to update fine and showed no errors.

The problem comes when i have to install XP Pro......when it is installing it gets to step four and tells me I have 39 minutes to wait......SO i wait.

The time never decreases......but the installation dots at the bottom right continue to move as does the changing information screens that tell me about the features of XP Pro.

After around 2 hours of waiting i tries again from the beginning and the same thing happened.

Every time I am stuck at 39 minutes remaining.

Anyone ever have this problem or know about how I can fix this.......very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Probably windows installation can not find drivers or sth. try to install with the least number of devices.

Bad source of xp, or perhaps your HDD runs not running 100% correct, or perhaps (I have experience this myself) the RAM module are already broken by the time you bought 'em but the BIOS can still recognize them and the system can still working at the beginning of your OS installation system but then stop somewhere in the process.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Get hold of a copy of memtest86+ here http://www.memtest.org/
Download the ISO and burn it to a cd.
Boot off the cd and run all tests several cycles.
If you have a bad module, it will identify it.
Then rma the bad ram!

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for all the advice....much appreciated.

Turns out my xp cd was no good.......got a new version and have no problems now.

TRENDING THREADS