Have AMD X2 6000+ - which Phenom should I get?

Hey-
Looking at frame per second in-game performance, you will prolly be running slower with the quad cores. There are very few applications that take advantage of the quads, thus the higher clock speed of the X2 that you have would win in a performance contest.
For gaming, no question stick with what you've got
There is an article here on Toms that will show where your processor sits amongst the triple and quad cores.

I recommend waiting in your case for higher clocked quads in the second half of 2008..unless they slip to 2009

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
It depends on what you use it for.Microsoft Flight Simulator X is designed to use up to 256 cores.It can be configured to run faster on a Quad than a dual core processor.Later games will take advantage of a quad.
For video editing and multitasking a Quad Core is better.If you bought a new motherboard AM2+ then go ahead and get a quad core Phenom (the fixed ones ending in 50).
If your motherboard supports it go ahead with the high end Phenom X4 9850 BE. If your motherboard can't handle a 125 watt Quad Core the Phenom X4 9550 using 95 watts will be decent albeit slower.Just be absolutely sure that the motherboard will support the Phenoms though.There is a good possibility that later on there might be one upcoming AMD Deneb processor that will work on AM2+

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks guys. All new info to me. Weird that AMD comes out with new more expensive products that are worse than their old products.

BTW, if you are looking for a good, really cheap, small form AMD MB, try the ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus. I just put it in and it runs nice.

MrManO1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I don't consider a motherboard to be AM2+ unless it has HyperTransport 3, which that Asus board does not - so definitely stick with the Socket AM2 dual core unless you upgrade to a real AM2+ board.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
nar,

You mean I can't blow $100's just to grab and extra 5 FPS?

Speaking of spending money. I found out 2 months ago I have cancer. I had surgery and a week ago, had some complications too gross to discuss here. Anyway, I went to the Emergency Room for 4 hours. Just 4 lousy hours. Wanna know what it cost me?

$8,000.00! They did a 10 minute Cat Scan that cost $2,000.00. Lol, don't get cancer, you can't afford it! My total bill so far over $200,000! I had no idea I was so valuable :)

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I'm in a similar situation.... Ready for a upgrade without wanting to COMPLETELY build new..

What should you do....

LOL upgrade to a Q6600 :D

as the other posters said, the gap between the high clocked 6000+ X2 to a poorly clocked X4 for general apps is rather large - better off waiting for higher clocked Phenoms

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

How often do you upgrade CPU's? My advice is to wait till December. A 6000+ is fine until then. Deneb will be out in the 4th quarter. I'm quite sure that Phenom performance will be boosted by then. If early info is correct, 45nm will lead to both lower thermals and higher clocks (3.0 or 3.2 native).

A Phenom 9850BE today will only get you 2.8 or 3.0 overclocked. Just think what a Black Edition Deneb will do if it starts out at 3.0! I decided on not upgrading this spring because Deneb is so close (well for me anyways, I can wait).

The best deal with a Phenom today seems to be the 8750 triple core. It overclocks to 2.8 from 2.4 and is only 95 watts, so it doesn't have the problem that 9850BE's have on some boards. Still, if you can wait; wait for Deneb.

Denebs due 4th quarter of 2008. AM3's not due until 1st quarter 2009, so AMD would have to support AM2+ with Deneb. However, we can't be sure that each and every motherboard manufacturer will support Deneb with a bios.

I don't think wattage or voltage will be an issue as Deneb should scale back from the monster 125 watt B3's, probably to 65 watts. Like with the 95 watt Phenoms and AM2, it will all be up to the motherboard manufacturer's. Out of our AM2 690 boards, only my wife's 690G ASUS has a bios update for B2 Phenoms. It would be a shame if that history repeats itself with Deneb and AM2+.

ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus is a good entry level mobo and I have a couple of them.

They run the X2's fine and the kids seem to put them through the paces.

I would not consider putting a Phenom in one of these.

http://event.asus.com/mb/am2_plus/

To get the most out of a Phenom go for a new high end board - you will only notice a positive difference on the games that make use of more cores (ah heck all) or apps that use encoding / decoding etc.

You will require a M3 ASUS mobo to support HT3.

At least that is what the link suggests.

My advice is to go for a new mobo and chip ... and look at what yipsl suggests above.

The ASUS M2N-MX-SE's are a horid motherboard im sad to day, seen one with capacitors swelling, others with usb faults (im thinking more chipset related), couple of badys.

If your thinking new motherboard/cpu, quad core and now, go Intel, if not, wait till the end of the year and see what both Intel AND AMD have to offer.

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
to be honest its not worth "upgrading" even the 2.5ghz phenom isnt much of an upgrade for games, its a lot faster in highly multithreaded apps but in games, which i guess is what youll be using it for its about the same or slower,

im in a similar situation to you... i have an am2 board which can support phenoms which is currently running an athlon x2 @2.8ghz but the benchmarks suggest i wont see much (if any) advantage in games by upgrading to a phenom. im waiting 'till amd can get their 45nm phenoms out the door, hopefully they can get their speeds up @ 45nm... we'll see

If you've got one of the top X2s already, I don't think it would be worth upgrading to another AMD OR Intel processor. It isn't practical since both have new processors and sockets coming up fairly soon.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would not consider upgrading at the moment.
Perhaps when they move to the 45nm process.

Only do so if you are into heavy multi-tasking or quad core optimized stuff.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Everyone seems to agree that waiting for Deneb is the thing to do. I guess AMD's finally getting their share of the OEM market with the B2's and B3's but no one wants to upgrade when 45nm is so close.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

I agree with you as it is a possibility.
So far the AMD2+ motherboard that seems to have the least problems from what I've observed from people building systems with the the AMD X4 Phenom 9850 BE is the MSI K9A2 790FX Platinum Mainboard.

Here are the specs of one individual who had no problems with the Phenom 9850 BE- MSI K9A2 790FX Platinum Mobo, AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition, Sapphire HD3850 1GB x2 in CrossfireX, 4GB OCZ Platinum (2X2GB) DDR2 1066 Dual Channel RAM, 800 watt ABS Modular PSU, LG Blu-ray burner, 500GB Seagate HDD, Zalman 9500A CPU Cooler, Antec 9000 series case. Vista Ultimate 64bit

I'm in total agreement. You've got a good board, so just wait for faster Phenoms to come out and score one down the line that will perform better. For right now I'd stick with the 6000+, you've got me well out gunned in the proc department.