Computer build, Selling price, how much?

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
So I have this computer I built a few months back. The specs are as follows.

AMD Athlon X2 5000 (oc'd to 2.9)
Asus M2N4 - SLI mother board
2GB (2x512) Kingston 667mhz Ram DDR2
MSI 8800GTX 768MB OC'd (610/1000)
Creative X-fi xtreme Gamer sound card
320GB Barracuda 16mb 7200rpm SATA HDD
80GB 7200rpm IDE HDD
550W PSU (12v1 = 18A, 12v2 = 18A, 12v3 = 18A)
Watercooled CPU "Stingray Watercooling"
4 Case Fans
http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/ Case

Comes with an LG 21.6 LCD monitor, 5MS, 1680x1050

So, the question. If I were to sell this computer, how much should I sell it for?

I can probably throw a Steering wheel, and a Flight stick into the deal to

So how much would you pay for it? What should the asking price be?

thank you.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Minus the GTX you can build a computer like that for just about $900. So you should be able to ask around $650 and then you will have to deal with haggling some. But key selling points are a legit copy of Windows and for some people, the keyboard and mouse... though some (like us home builders) could do without those additional peripherals. Where are you located? if your area uses craigslist a fair bit you can always try to get about $600 for it by asking around $700 but you will be right at the limit and may not get any takers.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Are you just straight up getting rid of one of your computers or are you looking to take the money and put it toward a new one. Because you could lower the cost of your new build by re-using the monitor and video card, and sell the comptuer for like $400 without a monitor and just throw in like an 8600GT or something.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
It comes down to a few things.

What's the total right now it would cost to build a PC to those specs? About $950-1000? I would price it at $850 for everthing and haggle from there.

Do you have all the receipts/boxes for the components? Tout the fact that the parts have the manufacturer's 1-3 year (which matches or exceeds what comes with a new Dell/Compaq/etc.). I would also offer a written/signed 30-day warranty.

I'm going to assume that you're going to post on craigslist. If you live in a little hick town, also post the ad in the closest city of size and say you'll deliver. One thing you definitely want to do is use some templates and some HTML and make the ad annoyingly bright and eye catching. Just look at eBay and this one rip-off seller...he selling P4 piles of crap for $350+...all due to his ad...people are stupid and like bright colors ROTFL.

One real negative might be the OC/water cooling setup as people know water+electronics don't usually mix.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Well thank you for the price quotes guys. I was hoping I could sell for a little more, heh, but with the technology advancing faster then light on cocaine its hard to sell a computer at a high price unless you bought all products right now brand new.

I am no store, just a gamer wanting to sell his rig so i can build myself a new comp.

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
If it were me, I'd just sell the mobo and processor and switch to intel at the most. With that high-end of a system it doesn't make sense to build a new one when at the begining or so of next year an upgrade would be more sensible when all the new components really start making waves...just my opinion

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
That sounds like a good plan, but I wouldn't really make much from my CPU/Mobo, for one, would be hard to find someone willing to buy a CPU/mobo since in my area a good percentage of the people aren't all that smart when it comes to computers. Also, my CPU/Mobo aren't the best.