Hard Disk size shown wrong in properties

JohnB3293

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Just cloned an ITE 40gb HD to a SATA 250GB..
All works fine except that the size of the drive is shown as the previous 40gb did.
The 40gb was shown as 37.2gb and now, so is the 250gb.
How can I correct that? (Hopefully without reformated)
JohnB3293

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
when you clone, you can normally state the size of the destination partition
or go to management-disk management and look at the partition size or free space

JohnB3293

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Bazza:
Thank you for replying that quickly.
Disk Management shows the following:
Total space: 232.88gb
Main disk: 37.27
Unallocated: 195.62
Can that be changed? and How?
Thanks

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

What did you use to clone your drive?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

There should've been an option to 'clone to new partition' or some such. (I really don't use Ghost much since Symantic bought it from the Kiwi's...)

MS also has a migration tool, works differently depending on your OS, but usually also has an option such as the above.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you can clone again, that will be the simplest solution. I presume you will want to put the new clone on the 250 GB drive and NOT save anything that is on that drive now. And you want to make the clone use the full 250 GB as one volume.

I have not used Ghost, but look for things like this:
1. Is this your boot drive? If yes, you will need to check that the software is set to make the Destination drive bootable. If not, do NOT make it bootable.
2. As above, look for where you specify the Destination drive size, and set it to the max available.
3. If the choice is offered, set for NTFS File System - not FAT32.
4. To use a drive over 130 GB as one volume, you must have what's called "48-bit LBA Support" in the hardware (you have this because ALL SATA drives and controllers have it) and in your OS. VISTA has it. Windows XP original version did NOT, it was added with Service Pack 1 and thereafter. Win 2000 added it with a later Service Pack - maybe SP4, but check. If your version does not have one of these Service Pack updates, download and install it BEFORE doing the cloning. Otherwise you cannot create a Partition on the HDD larger than 130 GB.

JohnB3293

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Thank you very much.... That's exactly what I want. However, I got a problem with NORTON GHOST v.14... I tried to do exactly that, it gave me 3 options for the destination drive, 1) C:, 2) Unallocated, and 3) F:
If I choose F:, the option to max the size is greyed out, not available. If I choose Unallocated, it gives me that option but I'm not sure if it is what I should do. Also, it won't allow me to choose both at the same time.
Any idea on that beside using an application such as Killdisk to wipe out the disk first?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I believe you have a working Windows still in your machine on the old drive, right? Further, I understand you don't want to preserve anything on the new 250 GB. So the cleanest way probably is to use the tools in Disk Manager to wipe out everything on the 250 GB. What you actually do in Disk Manager is find that disk in the lower right panel, right click on it, and choose the option to Delete this Partition. MAKE VERY SURE YOU ARE DOING THIS ON THE NEW 250 GB DRIVE!! After that you could go ahead and choose with another right-click to create on it a new Partition that uses the whole disk and make it a bootable Partition because that's where you are headed. Then you have to format that new Partition, choosing the NTFS File System. You may not need to do these last two steps, though - Ghost may do them for you if you are starting with a completely blank drive with no Partitions on it.

JohnB3293

Distinguished
May 22, 2009

PAPERDOC..............You're trying hard to help me here and i truly appreciate. Thank you.............Unfortunately, :) when I right click on the 250GB, the option to Delete that partition is greyed out (Unavailable).

I'm Still lost :) Seems to be like this these days....LOL