[Tribes 1] Optimize Display?

Last response: in Video Games
December 20, 2004 2:10:13 PM

I play a fast-paced Tribes 1 mod. My client is set up to use the OpenGL
driver. Now, on maps with visible terrain, I experience graphical lag.

My question: Is it possible to make terrain look really basic, so that not
a lot of processing will be involved when displaying it, while using the
OpenGL driver?

I've tampered with the settings in Options->Graphics Detail and have also
looked in Config/clientprefs.cs, to no avail.

I know that this can be achieved by opting to use the software driver, but
when I use this, Tribes crashed on me very often.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 6:47:03 PM

"Tom B." <tom@address.invalid> wrote in message
news:D yfm3wyfcbzm.dlg@tom.b.uk...
> I play a fast-paced Tribes 1 mod. My client is set up to use the OpenGL
> driver. Now, on maps with visible terrain, I experience graphical lag.
>
> My question: Is it possible to make terrain look really basic, so that not
> a lot of processing will be involved when displaying it, while using the
> OpenGL driver?
>
> I've tampered with the settings in Options->Graphics Detail and have also
> looked in Config/clientprefs.cs, to no avail.
>
> I know that this can be achieved by opting to use the software driver, but
> when I use this, Tribes crashed on me very often.

What processor and speed, and what vid card? An up to date computer should
not experience any lag on T1. Other than turning down graphic details in
settings I don't know. The terrain textures are built into the maps.

Quixote
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:02:20 AM

Quixote <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote:

> What processor and speed,

2GHz Celeron.

(256MB RAM.)

> and what vid card?

ATI RADEON 9600 SE. OpenGL settings are on 'performance' in the ATI
control panel applet.

Actually, I can reduce lag by increasing my field of vision in Tribes
(setting $pref::p layerFov) but this makes shooting more difficult for me,
due to being more zoomed out.

Looking at terrain detail causes the lag - and it's worse depending on how
zoomed in I am.

Thanks
December 21, 2004 5:02:21 AM

> Quixote <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote:
>
> > What processor and speed,
>
> 2GHz Celeron.
>
> (256MB RAM.)
>
> > and what vid card?
>
> ATI RADEON 9600 SE. OpenGL settings are on 'performance' in the ATI
> control panel applet.
>
> Actually, I can reduce lag by increasing my field of vision in Tribes
> (setting $pref::p layerFov) but this makes shooting more difficult for me,
> due to being more zoomed out.
>
> Looking at terrain detail causes the lag - and it's worse depending on how
> zoomed in I am.
>
> Thanks

Been a while since I played T1 but I played it on a lot less computer back
then too. The only thing I see is maybe more ram as maybe the swapping of
textures is hitting you, but I really don't remember if the T1 maps were
that memory reliant. I know in T2 bumping up to 512 made unplayable maps
playable.

Quixote
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:12:27 AM

Quixote <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote:

> Been a while since I played T1 but I played it on a lot less computer back
> then too. The only thing I see is maybe more ram as maybe the swapping of
> textures is hitting you, but I really don't remember if the T1 maps were
> that memory reliant. I know in T2 bumping up to 512 made unplayable maps
> playable.

I might give that a try. Heck, I've been meaning to get some more RAM for
this box, anyway, and this just gives me an excuse.

Regards
!