790i motherboard and a 9800GX2

j2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
hi guys,

Im building a new pc and i got hold of a 9800gx2 at a cheap price, and now that i jumped at that opportunity im starting to regret it as im finding all sorts of info about not getting full performance out of the card without the right motherboard.

I think ive reached my limit of knowledge and would really appreciate some help.

i want to get the most out of my 9800gx2 and in the future would like to buy a 2nd and run them in SLI

Ive read a little about the 790i boards and they said basically that it made the 780i's a waste of time i dont really understand however i know what i want from the board so any help would be appreciated.

I want to be able to upgrade from a Q9450 at some point. (also want to be able to overclock the q9450 to atleast 3.2ghz)
I would like to add a 2nd 9800GX2 at some point.
I would like to run DDR2 memory with the possibility of upgrading to DDR3 as the price of DDR3 compared to DDR2 is crazy and IMO not worth the money.

The only part i have actually purchased so far is the 9800gx2 (and Antec p180b) if this is relevent.
Some help would really be great thanks all

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
The 9800GX2 is a long card. I tried to get one into an Antec P180B, and it was just too tight a fit with the wiring and hard disks mounted near the bottom of the case.

I finally went out and bought a Thermaltake V8003BWS and had no problems.

I had second thoughts about the 9800GX2, as I already had twin BFG 8800GTX OC cards, which seem to be the same length as the 9800GX2. The 8800GTX's fit fine into the Thermaltake case, and I'm glad I bought it. It made wiring much easier than the Antec case.

Don't get me wrong. The Antec is a fine quality case, but the new video cards are a tight fit, especially with the Antec case mounting the PSU down at the bottom.

If you've got the room for it, go for a full tower case instead of a mid-tower.

j2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Thanks for the Advice, i did wonder about that.

In terms of the mobo i have possibly come to a new conclusion, as of yet there is no 790i SLI DDR2 board, but there are X48 DDR2/DDR3 boards. I might go for that with the DDR2 then in the future i can buy 2 ATI cards and upgrade to DDR3

What do you think?