Sign in with
Your question

The tuner hardware is either malfunctioning or not installed Please ensure that

Last response: in Windows XP
August 7, 2010 10:12:04 PM

Hello,
I had to reinstall my OS. Windows XP Media Center 2005. When I try set up tv signal...says tuner hardware is either malfunctioning or not installed. It was working fine before the crash. What can I do? I've tried searching other forums and no luck. Thanks.
a b \ Driver
August 7, 2010 11:20:20 PM

What is the make and model of the TV tuner card?

You may need to install the Windows XP device driver for the tuner card before it is recognized by Windows XP Media Center.
m
l
August 7, 2010 11:36:31 PM

I can't even find the tv tuner card or tuner driver in my device manager.
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2010 11:39:00 PM

Where would I find it? Thanks for your help in advance.
m
l
a b \ Driver
August 7, 2010 11:47:39 PM

My "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM Combo" tuner card shows up under the Sound, video and game controllers section of Device Manager.

It will only show up in Device Manager with the proper name once the correct device driver is installed, otherwise it is an unknown device.

If you need to open up the computer case and remove the tuner card to determine its make and model then do so and post the information here in this thread.
m
l
August 8, 2010 12:03:06 AM

Thanks for your help. I only see audio drivers in the sound, video & game controllers section of device manager. Here's the list there:
ATI Unified AVStream Driver
Audio Codecs
IDT High Definition Audio Codec
Legacy Audio Driver
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
USB Audio Device
Video Codecs

I would love to know how to physically open the computer case & remove tuner card. I have never ever done this, but am willing to try anything!
m
l
a b \ Driver
August 8, 2010 12:20:17 AM

Is it a prebuilt name brand computer (e.g. Acer, Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, ..., etc.)? If it is post the make and model.

Do you have any manuals or installation CD for the TV tuner card? If you do then you won't have to open the computer case.
m
l
August 8, 2010 12:30:22 AM

It's a Gateway GT5014 - I got it in 2005 & it's worked great for all these years. I tried emailing Gateway back and forth. They were supposed to call me with the rates for help...but then I saw $129.00 for help! So this is why I'm trying to fix it myself. The only CD I have is the System Recovery CD/DVD which I installed after my OS went missing. I'm afraid to use it again as it will wipe everything out again. Reinstalling all my software & email accounts took days!
m
l
August 9, 2010 6:09:05 PM

I appreciate you trying to help. This didn't work. I'm pretty sure I don't have amd. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, ko888.
Deb
m
l
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2010 6:15:24 AM

unplug the power, open the case, pull out the tuner card, identify the card by label, try to find manufacturer and model number. From there you can find the correct driver for the tuner card.
Tuner card in this model was optional. There was no manufacturer stated in the gateway specifications for the tuner card. Could be at least 3 possible manufacturers. Find the make and model of the card, and you will be on the way to getting it working.
Once you have the make and model, you should be able to get the drivers from the card manufacturer.
Worst case, buy a new card, $100.
m
l
August 10, 2010 3:28:23 PM

Thank you. I will try to open the case (yikes!) and find the tuner card later today when I have the chance. :) 
m
l
August 14, 2010 12:25:50 AM

Have you ever heard of a computer repairing itself? Before I tried to open it up, I decided to try Media Center one more time. This time there was a new error code....video decoder not found. I knew I didn't have DVD video player installed anymore, so I installed dvd video & decoder, and voila! Media Center is freaking working! I don't know what happened between the time I tried the previous solutions that didn't work and this time! My computer regenerates! Yippee. Thanks guys for all your help & suggestions. This is definitely the place I'll come with any more computer problems or questions.
Deb :) 
m
l
August 14, 2010 12:51:24 AM

try this program: drivereasy.com
the free version is slow but it will find the driers automatically...
m
l
!