Sign in with
Your question

Intels core 2 duo processor models???

Last response: in Motherboards
May 22, 2008 12:35:17 PM

Hi,

i have the Asus P5GC-MX 1333 motherboard which supports intels core 2 duo processor, it has an intel 945GC northbridge chipset, and an ICH7 southbridge intel chip set, i want to install intels core 2 duo on the board, but this processor comes in 21 diffrent models.

I checked the specs on both the board and the processor and all seem to be compatible, the only diffrence i could find between the models was a slight alteration in the processor speed, FSB speed, and the L2 cache size.

My question is, would the P5GC-MX 1333 motherboard be compatible with all these processor models?? or am i limited to just a few?? or is it simply just a choice of choosing my own model for the speed thats right for me???

These are the diffrent models for the intel core 2 duo.

E8500 E8190 E6700 E6420 E4700 E4300
E8400 E7200 E6600 E6400 E4600
E8300 E6850 E6550 E6320 E4500
E8200 E6750 E6540 E6300 E4400
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2008 12:54:07 PM

LOl. Amazing it takes all of about two minutes if you bookmark the ASUS links. But you are right LOL!
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2008 12:58:00 PM

I have been researching chipsets and looking at ASUS a lot recently.
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2008 1:22:00 PM

Funny. I just ordered a new wireless adapter this morning. Finding the latest driver, including a Vista 64 version, on the product page downloads was the first thing I did. Yeah I'm making a *hint*.
May 22, 2008 1:31:52 PM

Quote:
Twice this week someone has asked about cpu compatability for Gigabyte and they spent about 5 minutes creating a post with their specs and asking the question when I went to Giga's website it took me less than 2 minutes to find the answer.
This genius Im sure spent a good 10 minutes making this post.

I seem to notice we are getting more and more questions from lazy posters recently. You are absolutely right when you say it takes less time to look it up yourself than posting here and to wait for someone to do the work for you .... but it's so much easier that way right ? /sarcasm
May 22, 2008 1:57:00 PM

Quote:
Twice this week someone has asked about cpu compatability for Gigabyte and they spent about 5 minutes creating a post with their specs and asking the question when I went to Giga's website it took me less than 2 minutes to find the answer.
This genius Im sure spent a good 10 minutes making this post.

You once posted asking what speed step was. (not that long ago I might add)
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2008 2:22:15 PM

Quote:
Heres the question of the day.

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO GO TO YOUR MOBO MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE AND LOOK UP CHIPSET/CPU COMPATABILITY????

This question is asked here daily and it takes less time to look it up yourself than it does to post here and make someone else do the OBVIOUS for you!
If you cant figure out something so basic and obvious as this, you shouldnt be working on computers at all.

Uh yeah HELLO! I'm glad someone said it.

It's amazing the amount of information you can find by visiting the manufacturer's web site. Imagine that...

I hope the OP wasn't confused by being told he had to do a BIOS update to make the mobo compatible with some processors. I can only imagine the onslaught of posts asking about that.

a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2008 2:24:11 PM

Hi chunkymonster. OP was not told He needed a BIOS update because his MB may have came with the only updated BIOS available. It was mentioned BIOS version 312 supported the e8000 processors he listed.
May 23, 2008 3:37:11 PM

badge said:
You would need BIOS version 312 to run the e8 series processors processors you have listed. CPU support for your MB here. Hope the link works.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

Hi badge,

did'nt know the support site existed, i'm pretty new to PC tech..

i'm a little confused..

I bought the Asus P5GC-MX motherboard so i could install Intels core 2 duo on it, again there are many diffrent models to this processor so i'm basically trying to find out which model of the core 2 duo would be best for me and the motherboard??

I'm not a gamer and i dont multitask many applications, i'm a PC musician who will be using the processor to work mainly with a DAW and VSTI plugins.

on the box it says FSB 1333 i'm assuming this means thats the max the processor can work up to before O-clocking?? I understand the FSB, the L2 cache, and the system memory all operate together in some way including the motherboard, but i'm learning..

Given the latter what core 2 duo model would you recommend for my needs??

Cheers
Musicmad
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2008 3:55:20 PM

If you look at the CPU support site I linked (your MB product page, see downloads on the page) any processor listed on the site that says BIOS version 0205 will work right out of the box. If you look closely, ASUS has issued a BIOS version 0312. This BIOS was released to support new processors. Mainly the e8200,8400, 8500 and e7 series. Unless your MB shipped with this 0312 BIOS update, you would have to update the BIOS to support those listed processors.

Why don't you consider a C2D Q6600. Should be able to just install it and be good to go. Like this one. It would work great for you, I have it. Outstanding all around performance for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

BTW. I do not see a BIOS for your MB supporting the lastest Q9 Intel processors, so the Q6600 would be a great choice.

edit. grammar
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2008 3:57:18 PM

Note. If you don't want the quad 6600, just about any of the e6 series dual cores you have listed will work with your MB. Just look for support of the CPU on the link I posted.
May 23, 2008 10:25:10 PM

badge said:
Note. If you don't want the quad 6600, just about any of the e6 series dual cores you have listed will work with your MB. Just look for support of the CPU on the link I posted.

badge, cheers for all your time and information..

Best
musicmad
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2008 8:22:38 AM

By my opinion Intel Core 2Duo 8400 is the best choise comparying witch prices and quality :D 
December 22, 2008 12:37:50 PM

Quote:
By my opinion Intel Core 2Duo 8400 is the best choise comparying witch prices and quality :D 

E8500 my friend. :D 
Related resources
!