Re-do ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm

tubaloth

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I had this problem
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258487-31-nothing-screen-graphic-card-motherboard-problem#bas

So I ordered the same motherboard again.

The only concern is resetting the ARCTIC COOLING Heat sink on the Q6600 Processor.

I bought the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm before because it already had the heat sink goo on there. (Easier for me even it wasn't the greatest).

I'm assuming that I'm going to need to get that old goo off (both the Heat sink and the processor) before apply new?

Whats the easiest way (with things around the house) to clean this?

Once the everything is back together, I now I need to let it "set" up. Can do that with the Motherboard on its side (The tower it stood up) or do I want to leave it flat for a while?
Thanks!

tubaloth

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Yes I bought some other thermal Paste.
I did find some 91% Alcohol, I'm not wondering what type of cloth to use? I heard a tissue is good enough? I don't know how hard it is to get off, or well it kind of melt off.

Also once I put the new on, do I need to let my computer run flat for a while so the paste can cure?

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Any type of cloth that doesn't leave any particals behind will do. To get the paste off you'll just wet the rag a bit and rub the paste off, it can sometimes get smushed around but it's not too hard. Once you put the new paste on you don't need to run your computer any way but normal.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
PS clean out the case and other parts of dust before cleaning the CPU so dust doesn't fall on the cpu, also be sure to use a air filter in the room and if you don't have one, set your air conditioner to just fan, then get a really fine cloth or even a central cooling filter and tape it in front of the air intake of the air conditioner then leave it on for a a hour or 2, then after that then clean the cpu and other parts

(I always do this i know the air is clean when i cant really see any dust particles from my laser pointer shining through the air or with my really bright spot light)

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

Thank god were not roommates you probably kill me. I use to use my computer more or less as an air filter since I had easily cleaned filters since the main instake was outside the case and the other just poped righ out when you pushed a button. I need to create that setup with my 900 I miss having that little dust filter for my room :(