Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why do you choose your respective company (nVidia / ATi)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Choose the best answer that suites you.

Total: 110 votes (32 blank votes)

• Nvidia because they have the fastest cards!
  • 16 %
  • Nvidia because they have the fastest card at my price point.
  • 38 %
  • Nvidia because i think that their branding is cooler.
  • 6 %
  • Nvidia because SLi is the best!
  • 3 %
  • ATI because they have the fastest cards!
  • 4 %
  • ATIbecause they have the fastest card at my price point.
  • 25 %
  • ATI because i think that their branding is cooler.
  • 4 %
  • ATI because Crossfire is the best!
  • 8 %
April 10, 2008 5:39:44 AM

This is a pole in search for why one would pick ATI over Nvidia or vice versa. I am doing some research on what types of choices people make and why they make them. I would greatly appreciate it if you could submit your vote while making sure it is the best for your situation. Thank you for helping with this research.
April 10, 2008 6:03:57 AM

None of the above. I choose ATI 'cause I've just had better luck with their cards. (2 failed nVidia-based, 5 good ATI-based)
April 10, 2008 6:09:29 AM

Dont see an option for buying whatever most suits the intended use?

I choose whoever makes the best card or whoever makes the best card at the pricepoint im looking at, I dont care for "company loyalty" in the slightest. Im pretty sure Im not alone in this strategy performance \ image quality \ price are far more important considerations than a red or green logo to my mind! Your poll choices seem to based around people only buying for one machine or only ever buying one brand?

Hence I have 8800GTX's in my main gaming rigs where price was not a problem and am looking at a 2600xt for my sons rig where I would prefer to keep things on a budget.

Video cards to me are more like toasters than religions...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 6:23:13 AM

I have Nvidia due to its better driver support for Linux.
April 10, 2008 6:23:51 AM

nVidia because I am a stock holder.
April 10, 2008 8:10:55 AM

Primarily picked my 3870 card over a 8800 gt card due to the price/performance ratio. The 3870 was way cheaper here in Denmark than the 8800.
Other reasons for the ati on my part:
The 3870 should run slightly cooler. Not that important though.
My motherboard is Xfire capeable, so I can upgrade later on by buying an additional 3870.
April 10, 2008 8:42:23 AM

I have always used ATI in the past because i was a poor teenager and then a poor airman in the air force. Now I'm an NCO and am building a computer for Gutsy (ubuntu 7.1) so this time I'm going Nvidia.

BTY I have never had an ATI card fail but my buddy had 2 in a row fail after mild overclocks.

9500 Pro, still in use by a buddy of mine
X800GT Still in my oldest computer (upgraded from 9500 Pro)
X800XL Still running in my newer build (give you an idea on how old my computers are LOL)

I have not purchased my video card for my linux box yet but I'm leaning toward the MSI 8600GT 512MB DDR3, it's $85.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 8:43:35 AM

None of the above. I base my decision on best performance at my price point at the time I buy. Last video card bought Dec 2006 - 640 MB 8800GTS.

I pretty much agree with dtq, "Video cards to me are more like toasters than religions... ".
April 10, 2008 9:03:07 AM

I've used both cards and I'm currently using a 8800 GTS and also a Radeon 9600XT. But at the end I chose the first option.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 9:54:12 AM

I bought a 9600GT so I can laugh at those people with 8 series cards still waiting for driver updates :lol: 
April 10, 2008 9:54:41 AM

There are some games that plays better with cards of either nVidia or ATI.
Like Crysis!
And most of them side nVidia, so I chose nVidia.
April 10, 2008 9:56:10 AM

NVIDIA:
1) Better driver support
2)Cooler /literally or not/
3)TWIMTBP - The Way It's Meant To Be Played :) 
4)Better architecture
5)More innovative!
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 9:57:56 AM

ThepiliGrim said:
NVIDIA:
1) Better driver support
2)Cooler /literally or not/
3)TWIMTBP - The Way It's Meant To Be Played :) 
4)Better architecture
5)More innovative!

That's debatable of late.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 10:09:26 AM

Nevets57 said:
This is a pole in search for why one would pick ATI over Nvidia or vice versa. I am doing some research on what types of choices people make and why they make them. I would greatly appreciate it if you could submit your vote while making sure it is the best for your situation. Thank you for helping with this research.

Both offer decent cards at times, at good prices, but as luck has it, every time i go looking on the market for a new card, Nvidia managed to bring out a card just right for me.

I was eyeing off a ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, till a Nvidia 6600GT came along, same as my 7900GT, and 8800GT.

Cards die or have issues when idiot manafacturers like MSI add this crappy cooler to there cards that fails and causes all sorts of issues - My MSI Ti4200 had a gigantic cooler but wasnt flat, and had copper cooling, which was stuck on an aluminum plate - the thing overheated and caused all sorts of headaches - a smaller cooler from an old card did the job 10x better and quietier too.
April 10, 2008 10:52:03 AM

Nvidia until the old GeForce ti4400 became outdated
ATi until the 9600XT became outdated

ATi // ASUS - X800 - Overheated / fried (on stock speed and with the stock cooler and a non stock oc cooler on stock clocks.)

Nvidia // ASUS EN7900GS (Works like a charm even today)

Tomorrow my new twin 8800 GTX will arrive :)  ((waited to upgrade to a new computer for a long time and tomorrow it'll finally happen))

Why do I stick with Nvidia now?

2 reasons:

1) Had very very very negative experiences with ATi both the X800 and it's replacement after it overheated and broke down no matter how big the effort to cool them down. (and still get outperformed by NVidia cards.)
2) Nvidia is the king of the market at this point in time.

Regardless of my opinion at this point, the market will remain a tug of war. Sometimes ATi leads and sometimes NVidia leads. When it's time to upgrade to a new rig after the one arriving tomorrow I will reevaluate who's where on the market and make my choice.

For now however it's one more vote for NVidia.

Greetz,

Thurin
April 10, 2008 12:51:50 PM

Nevets57 said:
The poll is next to worthless, IMO. I for one look for an acceptable balance of speed, price and noise, not simply one of these factors. And your poll forces me to choose a brand - not being tied to a brand I would make that choice when I purchase, not now.

Instead of starting another ATI vs. nVidia thread ( :pfff:  ), just read through forum posts and see what people post for their system specs. What you seek is littered throughout the furums, you just need to do a little data mining.

Edit: Also, your poll fails to mention Video Quality, power consumption, noise, and driver quality as possible deciding factors.
a c 1410 U Graphics card
a c 161 Î Nvidia
April 10, 2008 1:01:20 PM

None of the above since I go with either one based on price/performance ratio at upgrade time. That is the reason I have/or had 5900xt, 6800vanilla, x800gto, x1900gt, 7900gs, x1950pro and 8800GT the three last ones still in use and the x1900gt just back from RMA with Sapphire hence the 8800GT.
April 10, 2008 1:08:34 PM

Im still with My X850, want to change really, but no NEW inovations are coming. And i like to Upgrade. For Real.

I started long Ago with:

Matrox M3D 8MB - Imba card at the time.
Nvidia Tnt 2 M64 32MB- Much better than the matrox, but i didnt like it much.
It had good performance but the graphics it self
were a bit sub par.
Voodoo 3000 128 bit 32RAM- Imba upgrade, and the graphic quality was much much better.
Voodoo 5000 - 2x VSA Chips , 128 RAM, great image, still works !!
Geforce 4 ti4600 - Vary nice, broke down a little after the warranty finished.
ATI 9600XT Gamebuster 128mb - Very good card for his time. It was vary cheap.
ATI X850XT - My current card, still works, everything still playable, so ill keep it for now.

Going for Ati mainly because the 2 Nvidia cards that i had, 1 broke down with little use and no OC, the Other had really a sub par image quality ( even for its time).
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2008 1:51:39 PM

My first ATI card was an EGA Wonder. ('86?). A VGA Wonder followed. I had a Rage card for a while too, I think the one with 8MB on it.
The first PC I got with a specific intent for gaming had a 440MX in it. That was back when I only built business PCs and servers; a cheap boutique actually built that one, but there were dropdowns where you chose the parts. After a couple years, its cheap PSU smoked, taking lots of stuff with it. The replacement I built had a 9200SE in it. Around this time I think I became aware of the whole nVidia vs. ATI debate. I probably would have chosen ATI.
I didn't build anything new for myself for years, but did have to replace another cheap PSU ( :pfff:  ding! :non:  ) Then I found THG, and Cleeve's excellent guide, so when I built again I used a 7600GT; another build I did at that time had a 6600GT. It wasn't because they were nVidia, it was because they occupied the recommended slot in the range I could afford. I gave that build away, and then used a 7900GS, for similar reasons.
I'm currently running a 3850, after major disappointments with a 3870. I don't play the most demanding games, so I see no difference between those two, but my wallet does.
Today, if I were going to buy a video card, I'd probably look at the 9600GT, or maybe a more reputable brand of 3870 (e.g. not Diamond). There's better and faster out there, but I just don't need it.

All that to say that I basically agree with dtq as well, but I'd add it's more like a washing machine or refrigerator than a toaster because of the cost.

And none of my builds use less than a tier-3 PSU now; the last one and the one I'm about to build (waiting on the case!) are tier-2.
April 10, 2008 1:51:59 PM

Personally I choose the best card for the intended use/budget. I have an 8800GTX in my gaming PC, and 8800GTS(512) in my 2nd PC, and a 3870 in my HTPC. I'm not tied to a specific brand, though for my high performance machines I've been going with NVidia lately because of their better performance. If ATI has the best cards the next time I upgrade my gaming machine I'd happily switch to an ATI card.
April 10, 2008 2:09:04 PM

I choose ATi because I have never had a bad card from them. I can't say that about nVidia, the last nVidia card I owned had a big problem with gaming. I know nVidia has improved greatly since those days but I'm just happy with the quality of ATi cards and at the prices of the higher end cards I just don't want to risk trying nVidia again.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2008 8:44:28 AM

stoner133 said:
I choose ATi because I have never had a bad card from them. I can't say that about nVidia, the last nVidia card I owned had a big problem with gaming. I know nVidia has improved greatly since those days but I'm just happy with the quality of ATi cards and at the prices of the higher end cards I just don't want to risk trying nVidia again.

Nvidia AND ATi make great cards, the issues we see are mostly due to dry joints or pop'd BGA joints (end user/transport faults, perhaps third party manafacturers eg MSI, using ATi/Nvidia GPU's) - i know someone in my area who i give (from my shop) a box of dead/faulty out of warranty video cards and he uses god knows what something with alot of heat carefully and re-melts the gpu bga package back to the card and sure enough he comes back with a box of working cards - success rate, 75% i would say - didnt believe it my self till i have him my old (and dead) 6600GT for AGP and sure enough next day he returned and it was working! :D  *pats trusty 6600GT*
April 11, 2008 9:24:51 AM

nvidia is just good in everything applications u use. ati is just best for GAMES but not in 3d application. (ex; sketchup, 3d max). if u decide just to play games, buy an ati but if ur want more than games, choose nvidia...
i'm an ex-ati...dun wan to us them anymore... (not mentioning workstation graphic card)
April 11, 2008 10:37:26 AM

i choose whoever has the best card to suit my needs at the time... so it doesnt matter if its ati or nvidia
April 11, 2008 10:55:18 AM

I bought the Radeon 3850 because at the time I thought it has exactly the right budget/performance ratio for me.

When the Radeon 3850 was release I immediately snagged one as early as I could because it was a whole lot faster than the 8600GTS on just a few bucks more.
April 11, 2008 11:55:01 AM

I chose nVidia because I chose an SLI motherboard because that was the best motherboard that I was looking at, with RAID considerations amongst other things. After that, it could only be SLI or a 3870X2, so I bought two 8800GTs because together, they are the best bang for buck at 22" IMO.
April 11, 2008 12:15:14 PM

Where was the option that you buy what the best at the time?
April 11, 2008 12:23:20 PM

I would have voted, however, I'm leaning toward ATI right now because of their video processing technology. I just bought an ATI 3650 to replace a Nv7600 and the difference in video processing is phenomenal. There's not even a comparison between pictures. The 7600 was grainy and had a very hard time with black and contrast ratios. Any dark scene on any dvd was always pixellated and splotchy. The ATI card is as clean as can be.

T
April 11, 2008 12:26:49 PM

I would have voted, however, I'm leaning toward ATI right now because of their video processing technology. I just bought an ATI 3650 to replace a Nv7600 and the difference in video processing is phenomenal. There's not even a comparison between pictures. The 7600 was grainy and had a very hard time with black and contrast ratios. Any dark scene on any dvd was always pixellated and splotchy. The ATI card is as clean as can be.

T

Edit:
Sorry about the double post. I should also add this is my first ATI card I have ever owned. I've owned several motherboards, my first was a viakt133a, my second was an nforce, nforce2, and i now have 3 nforce 4 boards running. I've had a Geforce (the original), a 6600gt, 7600gs, and now this ATI card. It's great for htpc, it's and upgrade to the 7600gs it replaced, it's silent, it's cool running, and as I said, it whoops on nvidia' pure video in terms of video decoding and output.

April 11, 2008 12:39:47 PM

I don't give a rodents posterior who's card it is as long as its wicked fast ahead of all and I ain't worried about saving pennies, which is why I'm pissed at Nvidia for those POS GX2's and 9800GTX. No body gets my money this round.
April 11, 2008 1:27:20 PM

warezme said:
I don't give a rodents posterior who's card it is as long as its wicked fast ahead of all and I ain't worried about saving pennies, which is why I'm pissed at Nvidia for those POS GX2's and 9800GTX. No body gets my money this round.

I agree. I am seriously Nvidia has something up their sleeves because the rumor mills are spewing that the new ATi card will be truly awesome. Then again, how many promises did AMD make and follow through with in the past year or so?
April 11, 2008 1:55:31 PM

I have Nvidia on my system but I wish to have ATI.. lols... Nvidia was the best at the time I buy and ATI/AMD was so far behind so you cant blame me why I just wish now. :( 
April 11, 2008 2:07:19 PM

This thread is asking for it, I'm not even going to say anything, Topics like this lead to non stop venting, I dunno why you would start this.

This is just an argument starter!

Nvidia because they have better cards.

But Truly I'd rather have ATI because i've been with them since the beginning.
April 11, 2008 2:37:26 PM

nvidia due to sterio scopic drivers.
April 11, 2008 3:23:19 PM

You forgot the ruler of all: Price
I go by price/performance ratio and nothing else, I've built and owned both sides of the spectrum(ATI/Nvidia)
April 11, 2008 3:24:30 PM

I choose Nvidia because they always have the better performing card when im ready to upgrade, if Ati were to have the top performing card i would go with them. But im not one of those people who skimp on my video card, since i game its where i choose to spend a majority of my money, and try saving cash in the cpu department.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 11, 2008 4:05:52 PM

Where's the most important answer?

Whomever has the best features & performance for the price I'm willing to pay...

The answers above in the pool only fit people who never buy from any other company, which means they miss out on the best from generation to generation.
April 11, 2008 4:29:52 PM

Same as many above I pick the best price for performance at my price range.
April 11, 2008 4:42:18 PM

I choose Nvidia because their drivers are simple. back in the day I had an Ati card (on board) and it took 20 min just to find the driver, then I had to install it.

Nvidia has always worked for me and so I see no reason to change. out of the 4 nvidia cards I have 3 are running and the 4th still works but is backup.

Also I am an id-software Engine fanboy and well nvidia seem to run Open-GL faster/ better.
April 11, 2008 5:09:16 PM

Since Video cards really haven't changed much in a long time...Something will soon have to give.Teck will move forward ..It's the nature of PC's in general.But this does in fact seem like one very long stretch for higher end Cards.I really do hope for ATI/AMD sake they get there grove on and deliver the goods.I know I won't buy at this point in history.Im not into have 2 cards in my system so I prefer to see how the summer shapes up for whats in store.Papa needs power. :D 
April 11, 2008 5:12:57 PM

dtq said:
Video cards to me are more like toasters than religions...

[:mousemonkey:5]

like grapeape said, if you stick w/ a given brand regardless of perfromance, you get screwed.

buy the best at the time for your budget, 'nuff said.

game on.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 11, 2008 5:34:06 PM

grizz86 said:
nvidia is just good in everything applications u use. ati is just best for GAMES but not in 3d application. (ex; sketchup, 3d max). if u decide just to play games, buy an ati but if ur want more than games, choose nvidia...
i'm an ex-ati...dun wan to us them anymore... (not mentioning workstation graphic card)

Of course that changed now with the new FireGL cards which are getting praise for finally upsetting the natural balance of things. And they are pretty great for value, witht he V7650 being really good return on your dollar.

And if you're looking for games and professional/workstation 3D apps then a FireGL would be the way to go, especially if you also want to SoftGL mod a card.
April 11, 2008 6:58:35 PM

it is true true that the price/performance ratio at a given price point is important. but we choose a particular price point because either it s the money we have right now or it s the money that is the best spent given the performance or both.because future-proofing is as relevant as it is certain. just look at the 8800gtx when it came out or the 9600gt right now. they just have totally different prices. however, we often tend to know the real value of a product after it has become useless. what do you think?
April 11, 2008 7:21:03 PM

i buy nvidia only because my first pc came with an nvidia card in it. But really, I just buy whatever's the fastest in my price range. brand doesn't bother me very much.
April 11, 2008 7:27:12 PM

I have owned both brands - I just buy whatever is the best bang for my buck at the time, coloured by what sort of games I am playing / intend to play in the next few months.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2008 2:43:41 AM

Anyone who buys based on bad experiences with dead cards needs to rethink their logic. The chances of you buying a card that was actually made by Nvidia or ATI is pretty low.
April 12, 2008 2:51:50 AM

i've just had better luck with nVidia, the few Ati cards ive had crapped out on me within a few weeks, but hey if i find one that works i'll use it doesn't matter much to me. (plus the Nvidia numbering is less confusing in my opinion
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2008 2:54:22 AM

I buy ATI because their branding is cooler (whatever that means) :lol: 

Seriously though, I buy whatever seems fastest unless I feel like being odd (like when I bought this 2900XT).
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2008 2:55:49 AM

hjjfffaa said:
i've just had better luck with nVidia, the few Ati cards ive had crapped out on me within a few weeks, but hey if i find one that works i'll use it doesn't matter much to me. (plus the Nvidia numbering is less confusing in my opinion

But those ATI cards weren't made by ATI were they? They were probably made by Powercolor or Sapphire or something.
April 12, 2008 3:20:55 AM

Quote:
I choose Nvidia because their drivers are simple. back in the day I had an Ati card (on board) and it took 20 min just to find the driver, then I had to install it.

Nvidia has always worked for me and so I see no reason to change. out of the 4 nvidia cards I have 3 are running and the 4th still works but is backup.

Also I am an id-software Engine fanboy and well nvidia seem to run Open-GL faster/ better.

I've had plenty of experience with both Nvidia and ATI and I don't find much of a difference between them these days. Getting / Installing the latest version of ATI drivers these days is simple. You just go to the ATI website and download the latest version of Catalyst and install. Simple. Exactly the same as you do with a Nvidia card.

Just a hunch, but was you onboard ATI card in a laptop? (i.e was is a Radeon Mobility card and not a normal Radeon?) ATI does not directly supply drivers for the Mobility GPU's in laptops as the OEM the produced the laptop is supposed to do that. I think it's the same way with Nvidia laptop GPU's although I've never owned a laptop with Nvidia graphics so I can't say for sure.
!