New build problem!

Nightrider1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hi all,

Here's what happened. XP froze during install at 67%. I had to turn the computer off. On reboot I dont get any video output and can't even get into the Bios again. All the fans run and MB lights green but thats it. Already tried clearing CMOS with no luck. Could it be that the Bios had to be updated first to support the Processor? If so how can I get around this now without any video output? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD64 X2 4000+
MSI Nvidia 8500GT
Corsair X2 2G dual channel mem
Thermaltake 500W PSU

Thanks

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Are you sure that the xp install "froze?" how long did you let it run before you shut of the machine? Maybe you corrupted the install. Try stripping the machine down to the bare essentials. Motherboard/cpu/memory/videocard/psu. Try removing the HDD you were installing to and booting.

Nightrider1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
It sat for at least 20 minutes at 67% before I shut it off. I tried stripping it down and removed the HDD and DVDrom drive. Still cant get into Bios.

miamirain

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Shouldn't need to update BIOs before it'll recognize a processor, since you have gotten to the Windows install that's the proof. I'd check the components individually, starting wtih RAMs first then video card, if one of those two (or both) is faulty and you replace them to get after POST, if XP still freezes check the CD and your HDD.

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I had somthing similar happen to me. I had a motherboard running perfectly fine for about 4 weeks, then, all of a sudden, it just died lol.
After some more trouble shooting, it sounds like the motherboard might be the problem. My system showed the same side effects.

You need to buy a cheap processor. Flash the bios and then put in the new processor and return the old processor.
Then retry the Windows installation. Pay attention to the choices you have in the bios, such as AHCI, etc.

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

He cant get into bios, no video out put. :hello:

to the OP:
Any error beep codes?

Nightrider1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
You need to buy a cheap processor. Flash the bios and then put in the new processor and return the old processor.
Then retry the Windows installation. Pay attention to the choices you have in the bios, such as AHCI, etc.

How would I flash the Bios when the HDD doesn't have an operating system on it yet? And, what is AHCI?

Thanks

miamirain

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
AHCI = Advanced Host Controller Interface, it allows some fancy features on SATA controllers like hot plugs and what not. I don't think AHCI could cause the mobo not go through POST in this case since the XP installation never finished. I'd hold off buying a "cheaper" processor until all the individual components are tested out first.

Nightrider1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Didn't install a floppy in this build but I do have a Flash. Thanks for the help guys. I guess if none of this works my last option would be to RMA the MB.

Once you put in a cheap processor that is supported by the motherboard, you will probably have video and be able to flash the bios.
Then you can take out and return the cheap processor and put the new processor in.
If you still don't have video, please post your problem and we will try to help you.