Reltek 8111B and dial up problem

ropd

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I just put together my first system in about 6 years. I used the MSI P35 Neo2-FR mobo and am running Windows XP Pro. Unfortunately we just moved to a remote area and there is no broadband available so I am stuck with dial up. I have been unbable to connect to the internet using the onboard ethernet. Do I need a NIC card for a dial up connection. All the drivers are installed and according to the system, there is no problem with the ethernet.

Thanks

Rich

Um...
PLEASE, tell me you're not plugging your phone line into the ethernet port to get a connection. If you have, hopefully your system hasn't yet been fried by incoming ring voltage.

You need a MODEM, and a dial-up ISP. The modem will cost you maybe $20.

ropd

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Whoooops,
I could tell you that but I would be lying. This is what happens when you don't keep up with stuff. Things have definitely changed since I put together my old P-4 system on an intel mobo. But on the bright side, I only had the line plugged in for a few minutes while trying to get the system online. To my knowledge no calls came in so I assume I'm safe, plus the system seems to be fine. God, I miss my DSL. And it's been so long since I had dial up I forgot you need a modem, not a NIC card. Thanks for knocking loose the spiderwebs. I've got an ISP and naturally their tech support was of no help. You would think they could have told me about the modem. And if I'm lucky I connect at a breakneck 24.0 kbs. Once I even got up to 29.4. Not to mention I'm paying the same price for this speed as AT&T charges for their DSL service. That seems obscene.

Thanks you both for your quick response. Time to go buy a modem.

ropd

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
joefriday wins the banana. I'm in the Ocala National Forest in Florida. AT&T claims that all of their customers will have broadband service by the end of 2008. We'll see. And just for further chuckles. I searched through my big box of old computer stuff and lo and behold found an old USRobtics 56k fax modem. How old is it? It only fits an ISA slot. Must have been from my first build with the Asus mobo. Guess I gotta buy one. I went to Newegg earlier but didn't see the one grieve gave me the link to. I'll look again.

But looking at this from a positve view. While my dial up modem is taking forever to download a site I just turn around in my chair and look out the back window where I have an unreal view of the St. Johns River. Life is full of compromises.

Thanks again for all the help. And the cutesy remarks too.