Now the 8800GTS EOL? Whats next?

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Its looking less and less likely that I'll be going Nvidia for my next video card(s)...
It seems Nvidia were too happy at the top and may have forgotten that consumers don't like to be screwed when they're not the all ruling king they once were...
Nice work there Nvidia! :lol: :lol:

Im wondering just what the h3!! their devs were up to for the last 2 years? And Im thinking, well if I were a driver writer, and saw all those devs takin time out, Id be doing the same heheh. Seriously, this doesnt bode well for the green team. Ive been recommending the next gen to folks, now I guess the folks have no choice!!?!

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I was almost certianly going make my new build with Nvida ....I'm not so sure now.
ATI have the 4XXX to be released in June.I'm not one to rush into thing.So after reading about this I will wait till then.

Again Great job Nvida.NOT :pfff:

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

You keep saying that theres no driver updates since december, but Im pretty sure Ive down loaded a few sets of beta drivers that worked for the 8800GTX, and fixed a few of stability issues for the 8800GTX that I had with the december versions...

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
dtq-

Which ones worked for you?

I tried the 174.xx ones, and gave me tons of issues, so I rolled back to the 169.44, still a few, then back to rock solid on the 169.21.

Running 2 8800 GTX's in SLI on a 680i in XP.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

edit: I totally read your question wrong. I've gotten small increases in almost all of my games with 174.74, nothing huge, just a frame or 2 and about 300 3dMarks.

You see where this is heading right? If I was stupid enough to go from a 8 series card to a 9 series card, the 174.74 drivers may be the last good driver for them as well, seeing as they too are EOL. Too many card releases, no real world improvements, and no driver support, and even their newest is soon to be gone. If theyre making all these changes, fine, great even, as more is usually better (tho that can be argued in this case) but dont leave us adrift with no drivers

Zenthar

Distinguished
Exactly, but at the same time I think it opens a few opportunities for wise consumers as they can just keep buying OEL'd products for much cheaper and upgrade more often. I think the only people who will really get "screwed" by this are people who always want the best of the best and are ready to pay whatever price they have to get it.

Its still a dead end for me tho, as the 9 series really only brought price cuts, as I already have a 8 series, so that leaves me with nothing til the next release, and still no driver support along the way

dos1986

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
What are yee on about?

Nvidia deciding to stopping selling 8800gts doesnt mean no driver support..

I have a 7600gt ( which they EOL'ED ) ages ago and I am playing all the new games on it..

dos1986

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
lol...

You think no more drivers for 8800gts etc?

They will release new drivers in a while...

You can get drivers released in december for a 6800 ffs..

And Ive waited since December for my 8800s too. You dont see a problem that nVidia releases new drivers for its brand new products, thats excusive, and helps those cards? Then turns right around and EOLs those same cards? And in the mean time, leave me with nothing? Gee, that makes me just happy

Thats not even what Im on about. If they can make better drivers for cards that are EOL, why cant they do the same for other EOL cards? They can do it if it fits their itinerary, but it isnt keeping me that happy. And nice saying Im panicking, Im just pointing out facts and my displeasure