Finalizing Midrange Gaming Rig Components, looking for advice.

FusoyaX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hey everyone!

This is technically my first ground up build and I am looking for some advice on my components before I order everything. The main purpose of the rig is gaming and I plan to overclock, my main issues of concern are whether or not all of my components will fit together (very tight squeeze around the CPU heatsink, mobo heatpipe and Ram) and also if I'll need to do anything special to get everything to work correctly. So anyways, without further adieu my components:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S

Mobo: MSI P7N Platinum SLI

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P with second NF-P12-1300 in a push-pull config

Case Fans: 3 additional Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120mm

Memory: OCZ PC2-8000 ReaperX 4GB (2x2GB)

Graphics Cards: Dual EVGA GeForce 9600GT Superclocked in SLI

Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.11 500GB

Sound Card: Creative Labs X-fi Xtreme Gamer

PSU: Corsair TX750W

DVD-RW: LiteOn LH-20A1L

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit (I know I will only use 3/4 of my Ram but I got a really good deal on the 4GB set and I don't trust 64 bit)

So what do you guys think? Will I be able to cram that Noctua Cooler between my Heat Sinked Ram and the Mobo's Circular Heat-pipe? Is this an overall good choice in components or would you recommend something else (please nothing more expensive, I'm on a reasonable budget).

Thanks in advance!

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
SLI 8800GT instead of the 9600. The 8800GT is quite faster than the 9600 especially at higher res.

Also get the 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 Crucial Ballastix RAM for 2 x $29 from buy.com

Moreover, the Corsair 550VX PSU is sufficient for that setup.

ps: which monitor?

FusoyaX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I decided to spend more money on the case, cooling and PSU so I wouldn't have to when I upgrade in the future, hence the 750w psu with energy saving components.

While I could save some money on the memory and upgrade to dual 8800gt's, I can get the OCZ memory for just over $100 here in Canada, which is just a little more expensive than DDR2-800 Ballistix, not quite the $100 difference between two 8800gt's and dual 9600gt's. I basically gave myself a $400 GPU budget and O can get the two 9600GT's with shipping for under that, the cheapest 8800gt set I could find was $60 over, reference clocked.

Despite some premium components that I intend on recycling for future builds, I am on a moderate budget. My biggest concern is if all of these components will work well together and equally as important literally fit together.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

Oh, forgot about the monitor: I decided to go with the Samsung 22" 225BW which was featured in ExtremeTech's Bang for your Buck build; it's the biggest monitor I can fit between the shelving of my desk and seems to be decently priced with good features, wish I could go with the 226BW but the bezel on that one is just a few cm too big, the 225BW just barely fits.