2gb duel vs 3gb single channel

dsm7809

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
hi i have 3gb ddr2 pc5300 in single channel and i was wondering if 2gb in deul channel would be faster for games like crysis,bioshock,coll of duty, etc

Windows XP SP2
Q6600
3gb pc5300
8800gts 512 @ 820/1150(2300)

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
It's hard to say, I think they would be about even. If you want 3GB your best bet is 2x1GB and 2x512MB, that way it would all be running dual channel. I would say benchmark it both ways and see which is faster.

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled.

THEREFORE , a dual channel configuration offers more speed.

mi1ez

Splendid
You might do better adding another gig, that way you'll have a tiny bit more (addressable) RAM, AND be running dual channel. Plus you won't have to replace one of your 1gig sticks

Mondoman

Splendid
Chances are that your chipset is actually running in "hybrid" mode, with 2GB in dual-channel mode and the last 1 GB in single-channel mode. I wouldn't expect to see any performance difference by moving to 2GB.

PS - since the memory channels are not fighting each other to the death, it's "dual" channel, not "duel" channel.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
firstly get 4gb in 1 Gb sticks, is so cheap right now, the 512 lost trough use of x86-32 will be neglible.

when you upgrade to vista you wont need another upgrade.

and please don't post same question in two places.

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
i could have sworn THG did a review of the effects of dual channel memory... as far as i remember it makes a negligable difference, more memory would generally benefit you more, but with current prices just buy a 4gb kit and be happy when you move to 64 bit. Also check out custom PC magazine as i believe i read recently about a few tweaks you can make to make the most of your memory!

sailer

Splendid

I guess the OP didn't get the answer he wanted in the other thread, so he's trying again.

As to the duel problem, take a couple pistols, walk ten paces, turn and fire. That should solve the ram question problem, as well as any other problems.