Want a Penryn processor crack open an apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
WTF - i am speachless all i can say is WTF!

Intel sticks to everyone giving apples first crack at penryn!

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37152/135/

"TGDaily goes on to explain:

Intel told us Monday afternoon that this new processor in fact is not the X9100, but rather a %u201Cspecial%u201D SKU of the 45 nm Penryn processor for the company%u2019s Santa Rosa platform. We can%u2019t imagine that HP and Dell are happy about the fact that Apple can officially ship a Core 2 Duo processor that matches most of the specifications of an unannounced Intel product - the only technical differentiator is the CPU%u2019s power thermal design power (TDP), which is 11 watts above the 44 watt X9100"

GoGo AMD! GoGo nvidia with! down with intel

wow I am offically not longer the #1 intel fanboy

AMD fanboy #1

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Looks like Apple is sending a little of that iPod/iPhone money Intel's way to get first crack at their newest CPU's. The other companies (HP, Dell, etc.) don't have to worry unless Apple becomes a viable gaming platform which isn't likely to happen. It's a good move on Apple's part because since the iPod's release young people more and more are looking to Apple for their computer purchases.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Meh, iPod is overpriced and filled with low quality components to increase profit margin. If their gaming computers follow the same trend... :sarcastic:

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

Now think like the average consumer "oooooh shiny, I want one". Over priced, low quality components don't matter as long as it looks good. Apple has made a fortune selling average components for premium prices in a pretty box.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Meh, Intel is a large overweight man sitting on his couch sucking money up through a straw while **** on the floor, the floor being us.

I enjoy intel CPU's for their performance but the way they work is just fooked up. Not in my taste.

I really hope AMD comes back with a good CPU.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

AMD is the thin guy Intel is setting on top of. It's going to be hard for him to get back up. :na:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The problem with AMD is they have great chipsets, decent GPU's and average CPU's, whereas Intel has great CPU's, decent chipsets and very sub par IGP. For some reason, Intel wins out all the time: with OEM's during the rebate program, with businesses during the "Dude you got a Dell" cycle, and with gamers and enthusiasts today.

AMD can't win for losing, which is why they need Deneb soon, but won't really have a chance until Bulldozer. Gamers might buy ATI over Nvidia, but they mostly want ATI on Intel chipsets with Intel CPU's. The mainstream doesn't care about graphics when they buy, but when they do, they can buypass the IGP with a discrete GPU.

I don't have enough hate for Apple (or love either, they aren't on my radar), so I don't care if they get Intel CPU's before enthusiasts. Money talks and no matter how much enthusiasts spend upgrading, it's not the amount that an OEM, or Apple, can direct Intel's way.

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

The reason Intel wins out all the time is down to the fact that to 7 times out of 10 people do not know, or even care whats inside their machine appart from Intel.....

For some unknown reason for many Intel Integrated Graphics with Intel processors seems to float their boat..

Intel has been the main company in pcs for over 20 years... Now all OEM's sell more machines with IGP's than anyone else down to the fact of price... Dell being and example..

IGP is cheap, its part of the motherboard and doesnt need a noisy fan to keep it cool...

Intel although nothing outstanding untill Labaree can still play games such as Sims 2 and www.miniclip.com etc which in most cases is what fits peoples needs..

One of the reasons Sims 2 sold so many it didnt really need a powerfull pc to run it on.. Its sold over a 100 million i heard hasnt it... World of Warcraft dont need a decent graphic cards either.. This runs on a low-mid range video card...

Now its also down to stability and AMD Processors of late have not been known for that let alone slower speeds.
Now as its still new days on their 790fx chipset and we havent seen yet what the outcome is on the reliability factor...
It should but wether or not it is another thing......

There seem to some issues with Phenoms 9850s on 790s let alone all the other chipsets out there..

It seems that the 9850BE is unfortunally like the Prescott and can run really hot even without overclocking it but i did post a solution in another topic....

AMD need a processor miracle, Nintendos Wii if you like as I doubt even Nintendo suspected how popular the Wii would be...

Now I find it ironic the only computer that has defied having Intel processors by having Motorola and IBM Power pc Processors is now using them..

And to make things worst they are on top of the Intel Technical Tree... by having 8 core macs well before 8 core pcs..

Apple machines were great with SCSI and Motorola Processors and with joint co-op between IBM and Motorola the power PC processor was born.. Its apple talk is what made Apples, Apples. The reliability and speed back then were much faster as standard for disk access due to scsi for one.

And now their os runs on a linux core but thats no bad thing, is not backward compatible with old..

Apples now are basically a fancy looking pc with Asus motheroboards and a fancy locked bios... Apple being different is really no more...

Why dont Apple release Tiger for pc. I truly believe many pc owners would have double os on their computers if the price was right.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Not surprised at all.
45nm Core 2's have been in the MacBook and MacBook Pro for a few months now (laptop's, so the laptop version of the Wolfdale), they had 45nm quad-core Xeons before anyone else for the Mac Pro.
The iMac uses laptop CPU's as well, so the 45nm core in them is only the same as the CPU in the MacBook/MacBook Pro. Except in the iMac there is the option for the 3.06GHz clocked model :)

mi1ez

Splendid

You can't get away with nearly as much markup on just an OS, as you said, the price would have to be right.

They make a killing on the hardware, and the OS is the best way to get (some) people to buy the hardware.

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
the reason for intel killing amd is because everyone had intel computers and they all worked fine and were fast. now they go and buy a computer they see amd. (a company they never heard of). on cheaper pc's and people will think its worse because there on cheaper pc's

when the average pc user goes to the store all they think about is intel is the best and more expensive = better performance. so they go and buy there intel dual core computer with 7400 nvidia graphics instead of the phenonem and the 2600 ati card for $100 more

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

Did you read the thread title?? :sarcastic:

Just incase you didn't, it's (drum-roll, puuuuuurrrrlease....) Want a Penryn processor crack open an apple!

;)

mi1ez, OS X retail is about £80 in the UK (no idea in the US, but i'd imagine $100-125) whereas a retail copy of Vista is what, double that ,easy!!

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

qxwh05.jpg

mi1ez

Splendid

Once you've already paid far too much for the Apple hardware! They've had their major income, anything else is a bonus. If they were to release OS X to run on any PC, they'd sell nowhere near as much hardware and would make less profit overall I'd hazard.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

Personally I doubt the latter, but that's my opinion :)
I don't think the "Mac's are expensive" argument holds any water anymore(yes they're more expensive than an equivalent PC, but much less than they used to be), but each to their own.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
^^ then again linux is free

then again waht the point of spending money on PC compoents and not being able to play games or use Industry Standard Programs (ie Photoshop).

Damn i hate apple, overpriced under spec.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
apple anoys me that in many ways, firstly that there advertising is around Windows is crap, not why there product superior (which it isnt.
2). it's cult following of high horsed morons.
3). form over function.
4). i could go on...

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
One word "Wine"
Besides I like GNOME soduku

True, but I bought (not really mine tho) a macbook because Apple Stores in Australia stocked replacement batteries for as far back as the ibook G3 (g1) and I liked the magsafe connector and the PSU. If it weren't for this I'd have a 12" touchscreen HP notebook (Turion 64 X2)

you kniw as fully as me that you cant get the same level of Frame rate that you can when a game is played natively. this is comparative to getting 8400 FPS, from a 8800. so you actually end up paying.

BTW i dont hate linux, but it doesnt really have a place on gaming sysyem, i have a Linux system - ubuntu FF - , which (until recently) was a game server, now it browses the internet and play music, none of which require power Compoents.

Status
Not open for further replies.