LG BH08LS20 Blu Ray drive/ Burner Problems

Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • Computer
  • Blu-ray
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 23, 2009 7:27:35 AM

So I just bought the LG BH08LS20 Blu Ray drive after getting a good deal from best buy. After installing the drive and software, with the firmware updates. I ran into a lot of trouble. I couldnt watch movies off my HD, my computer would crash (blue screen of death), I could however watch blu ray movies for a few minutes. My computer was just unstable and wouldn't make it 20 min through a youtube video without crashing, closing firefox (where i was logged into youtube) or completely restarting my computer.

I checked all over the internet, and after many hours of research I found a few solutions:
The first was to un-install the software package (cyberlink software) that came with the drive...that didnt work, computer still crashed
The second was un-install the drive, and reinstall the drive and driver... That didnt work
Finally I uninstalled my video card. Reinstalled the video card and driver......BOOM (we have a winner) and it stopped the crashing.

I then reinstalled the cyberlink software and no more issues, and everything works. I dont know why the driver for my video card was the issue, but who knows.

Computer specs:
Vista x64
nvidia geforce 8600gt video card

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future

More about : bh08ls20 blu ray drive burner problems

June 9, 2009 8:12:05 AM

Thanks for sharing badazzpitz... perhaps your video card driver had a conflict with your Blu-Ray drive. That could've caused the restarts when you were trying to watch videos.
a b G Storage
June 9, 2009 8:30:11 AM

Older version of Cyberlink softwares are notorious for causing conflicts with exiting video driver. What you did there was re-overwritting with the 'good' files again.
Related resources
August 27, 2009 6:04:28 AM

Hey guys i was wondering if you could help me. i bought this same drive and wheni go to install the software it came with it goes smoothly till i install the auto firmeware updated software then my whole computer locks up and freezes. i went back and ignored installing it a second time and it started to work with the powerdvd 7 it came with and started to play blu ray movies fine till i came back to actually watch the movie i started it up and it crashes and reboots my computer and tells me that windows just recovered from a fatal error if you could help me out here that would be swell.
August 30, 2009 4:35:29 AM

nickhor said:
Hey guys i was wondering if you could help me. i bought this same drive and wheni go to install the software it came with it goes smoothly till i install the auto firmeware updated software then my whole computer locks up and freezes. i went back and ignored installing it a second time and it started to work with the powerdvd 7 it came with and started to play blu ray movies fine till i came back to actually watch the movie i started it up and it crashes and reboots my computer and tells me that windows just recovered from a fatal error if you could help me out here that would be swell.

I had the same issue with the same drive, I stopped the firmware update autorunning each time on boot
and it has been OK since!!

Only manually run "the auto firmeware updated software" when you want to check for an update
( they don't appear to have released any updates for ths drive yet )

I installed everything from the LG install CD

Then I stopped the firmware update program automatically running on boot
I used the free software "autoruns" from microsoft (Systernals) to stop it running from bootup
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb96390...

The program to uncheck is under the
"Logon" tab
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
LGODDFU BL c:\program files\lg_fwupdate\fwupdate.exe

I also unchecked the LightScribe Control Panel
(no real need perhaps but I am not using it at this time and can run it manually)
"Logon" tab
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LightScribe Control Panel Hewlett-Packard Company c:\program files\common
files\lightscribe\lightscribecontrolpanel.exe

Rebooted and no problems since
September 25, 2009 2:20:14 PM

Well done guys. Have just bought the same BlyRay drive and had problems with Power DVD locking up the machine. Installed latest graphics drivers and killed off the drive firmware updater and LightScribe Control Panel at logon too. It now seems stable and plays BluRay movies right through ok!

Am using an ATI Radeon HD3850 512Mb dual DVI card feeding two ASUS 22" VH226 full HD monitors.
November 18, 2009 1:31:51 AM

So with all of that trouble would you recommend that LG Blu-Ray burner? Considering buying one.
!