Open Mac formatted floppies

thforjason

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know the reverse is possible, but how can I open a Mac formatted disks such as the floppies and zip with my PC with Win 98SE? I plan to buy a laptop where I will be using it at work where there is a 50/50 mix of Macs and PCs. I could buy a G3 Mac laptop so I can open both Mac and PC formatted removable disks, but this Mac laptop is too expensive. Can I buy a PC laptop with a utility to accept disks from both platforms?

G

You'll never read the mac formatted floppies - PC HARDWARE can't support them, it's not just a software thing. You should be able to find a utility for the zip drive though.

G

There's a utility called MacOpener which will allow you to look at files in Mac formatted disks on your PC.

misu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Normal floppy drives CAN read mac formated disks. I used a mac emulator that boots from an original system 7.? macos on my PC.

Misu
__'_

thforjason

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I downloaded a copy of MacOpener from Dataviz. So far, it has worked very well. I can now open all of my Mac formatted zip disks CD-ROMs, and floppies and open files on them ranging from Word to Photoshop. I can also save files onto the disks which were later can be open with both Macintosh (G3 OS 9) and Win98. Therefore, it seems to me my problem of cross platform incompatibility is gone. The program is not cheap though; it costed me $50, but at least now I don't have to worry about asking people to send me files made from a Windows system only.

TRENDING THREADS