[SOLVED] Can Mac OS be installed on ANY computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I am in no way familiar with Macintosh computers. I use my PC mostly for gaming and other entertainment. Macs are best for web browsing, watching videos, viewing photos, e-mail, and other multi-media purposes. They are not geared towards gaming.

Can a Macintosh operating system be installed on ANY computer? Even a custom home-built? Or is it only compatible with certain hardware?

Solution
It is possible to install Mac OSX on a computer thats not a apple brand. But the legit version of OSX will only work on apple computers. This is because all their products contains a chip called the TPM. The OS looks for the chip before allowing the OS to be installed and also will check during the booting process.
On the other note if you wish to experiment with Mac OSX there are possible ways if you google for mac osx 86. The page also contains a list of hardware which has or has not been confirmed that it works on the OSX. my advice for this educational experimentation is to use the same hardware as those in apple brand computers. Using the same hardware will reduce the likely hood that you'll run into compatibility issues...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Technically, you can only install OS X on an Apple computer. That being said, there are several "hackintosh" distributions available on the 'Net that will allow you to run OS X on a "generic" PC. The closer you can get to Apple specs with your PC, the more likely your hardware will be supported. There are even some customized versions that support AMD processors. Dig around with the "hackintosh" term and you'll find something to play with. Enjoy!!!

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
or, alternatively, don't waste your time with the sub-par OS. The only thing that Mac OS is really good at is taking your money when you get an Apple computer. If you don't pay for your hardware 2x, its not doing the only thing its really good at.

Oh yes, and it can check email now! Play music even. Good times.

some people like to try new things, i know i got this installed on my desktop for a little while and went back to windows (i prefer linux, but its a gaming computer)

@OP, on a general computer, it is possible to install OSX, and as COLGeek said search hackintosh and dig around a little though you may find that it might be a bit buggy with non supported hardware and you should stick as closely as possible to apple hardware (ie intel and Nvidia for parts)

Have you ever actually used a Mac for any extended period of time?

randomizer

Champion

I'm glad this is your only post here. If you have nothing worth saying, please leave this section and don't come back. If you think you will have difficulty stopping yourself from trolling here, then send me a PM and I will gladly help you help me help us all.

mi1ez

Splendid
OSX is a perfectly good OS, unless you're used to having a large degree of control over your OS as in Windows and Linux. I wouldn't have said it's any more or less stable than windows comparing mine and my girlfriend's machines.

darkace

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
It is possible to install Mac OSX on a computer thats not a apple brand. But the legit version of OSX will only work on apple computers. This is because all their products contains a chip called the TPM. The OS looks for the chip before allowing the OS to be installed and also will check during the booting process.
On the other note if you wish to experiment with Mac OSX there are possible ways if you google for mac osx 86. The page also contains a list of hardware which has or has not been confirmed that it works on the OSX. my advice for this educational experimentation is to use the same hardware as those in apple brand computers. Using the same hardware will reduce the likely hood that you'll run into compatibility issues. There are also tons of third party drivers that ppl have created to get their hardware working on the mac osx but this is very individual. What might work for one might not work for you.
My other advice is most likely you will not enjoy using the Mac osx on anything than a mac brand computer. This is due to the fact that most experimental versions of Mac OSX out there use a software emulator to emulate the TPM which is turn causes a significant performance decrease. The Mac OSX is also created mainly for mac peripherals like the multi touch mouse pad, remote etc which is why some ppl would go mac. Without some of the unique accessories i would say that u will find theres little difference between Windows and Mac. You will also find some programs are not supported in Mac. Microsoft onenote, Steam(they've made a mac version but the performance is still not as gd as windows), autocad, etc
Best of luck if u decide to try it =)

Solution

qwerty1234560987

Honorable
May 22, 2013

can u help me in installing macx on my pc..????

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
@proju14 has the most accurate (to the original question) answer. It is (technically) illegal to do so as it violates the EULA and requires modified (hacked) images- that said there is a large community of persons whom still do such.

As a comprehensive guide, Adam Dachis at Lifehacker.com has a fantastic guide with comprehensive details: http://lifehacker.com/5841604/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh

For additional details and knowledge base, the OXs86 Project is a go-to resource built and maintained by a community of persons whom have done and continue to attempt to run OSX on generic x86-64 hardware. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Tedy1939

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I would not try to build a 'hackintosh'. Usually you will face a lot of compatibility problems that take a lot of time to resolve and maybe increase the cost of your project.
I think you are better of buying a mac if you want to use OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.