JVM Question

I've always had less problems with MS's version of JVM than with Sun's.
Since installing XP Pro on a new machine I'm wondering since MS JVM is not
supported any longer is it possible to take take a copy off of my old W9se
machine and use it on the XP machine...or is this impossible or ill-advised?
4 answers Last reply
More about question

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > I've always had less problems with MS's version of JVM than with Sun's.
    > Since installing XP Pro on a new machine I'm wondering since MS JVM is not
    > supported any longer is it possible to take take a copy off of my old W9se
    > machine and use it on the XP machine...or is this impossible or ill-advised?

    It doesn't hurt anything to use Microsoft's JVM, although I don't see
    how you could ".... take a copy off of my old W9se
    machine and use it on the XP machine....," unless you're talking about
    an archived copy of the installation files. However, there's no need to
    attempt to "transplant" JVM from Win9x to WinXP.

    If you want to use Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine, it is still
    available from a lot of 3rd-party web sites, one of which is here:
    http://www.virtualmachine.tk/.

    If you do choose the Microsoft JVM, be sure to apply a much needed
    security patch.

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-011.asp
    (Prevents the Trojan.ByteVerify issue)

    Patch available here:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/javavm.html

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    oh cool...didn't know it was still available somewhere...THANKS.

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > oh cool...didn't know it was still available somewhere...THANKS.

    You're welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Rob - To determine your Java version:

    For the MS JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter jview
    For the Sun JRE/JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter
    java -version

    You can test whether Java is working on your machine at the following sites:

    http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html
    http://www.clan.lib.ri.us/clan/javatest.html (This one may be down)
    http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp (both 1.0 and 1.1 and what's installed)
    http://coglab.wadsworth.com/support/browsercheck.html
    http://www.ces.clemson.edu/webct/browser_detect.html

    If you have Sun Java installed, you can run their test utility here:
    http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

    and you can test Javascript here:
    http://www.dancespots.net/browsertest.htm

    There is good information concerning all aspects of the Java situation here:
    http://www.javatester.org/installing.html

    Be aware, however, that after Dec 31, 2007, MS will apparently no longer be
    distributing Java or providing any support for Java including security
    fixes. See here: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/ so you might want
    to start thinking about the future. MS Java VM Transition FAQ are available
    here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp Information on the current
    availability of the MS JVM is available here: INFO: Availability of Current
    Build of Microsoft VM,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163637

    You can get the Sun Java J2SE RunTimes or SDK here:
    http://java.sun.com/downloads/index.html (all versions - select using the
    dropdown - I recommend that you don't install any version prior to 1.4.2.08
    in order to get an important security fix.)

    Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in
    here: http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html

    If you want the latest and greatest, you can link to a download for the J2SE
    5.0 JRE here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use,
    BTW)

    For the MS Java VM, you may need to install v.3805 or v.3809 prior to
    upgrading to v. 3810 if you didn't previously have MS Java v. 3805 or 3809
    installed.

    If your OS is Win2000 SP2, SP3 but NOT SP4 then you can download and install
    MS Java VM v. 3809 from here:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/CabPool/Q810030_W2K_510A502BA8F9B6F19230BB2BCCE87D5474AC9DCD.exe
    or here:
    http://www.biologylab.awlonline.com/MSJavaVM/Software/en/com_microsoft.windows2000/x86win2k/com_microsoft.Q810030_W2K_SP4_5849/Q810030_W2K.exe

    For Win2000 SP4, follow the directions here: Frequently Asked Questions
    About the Microsoft VM and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820101 "Because the Microsoft VM files are
    not protected by the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature in Windows 2000
    SP4, redistributable versions of the Microsoft VM can be installed on a
    Windows 2000 SP4-based computer with or without the Microsoft VM."

    For all other OS's:

    Download and install the MS Java VM v. 3809 from one of the links here:
    http://ftp.idilis.ro/windows/sp/jvm98/msjavwu.exe, or here:
    http://secinfo.huji.ac.il/patches/Win-xp/msjavwu.exe or v. 3805 from
    here:
    http://www.sijet.com/msjavx86.exe

    Then upgrade to v. 3810:

    For all OS's except Win2kSP4 obtain v. 3810 here:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050022631 ,or here:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe

    For Win2k - SP2, SP3 - you can also obtain v. 3810 from Microsoft here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/7/577b7277-227d-4163-9b18-423356321682/Q816093_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe

    For Win2kSP4, to get 3810 from Microsoft you now have to get Q816093 from
    Windows Update Catalog - use the procedure given in the Q820101 link given
    above for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition (Yes, Win98x/SE - it's
    not a mistake). You can find directions for using the Windows Update
    Catalog functions here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166.

    Both Java VM's can co-exist on your machine quite nicely. Just select which
    one you want to use in Tools|Internet Options|Advanced and restart all IE
    browsers. Here, courtesy of Mitch Gallant, MVP Security, is a tiny utility
    which allows you to toggle and view status of your current Java VM vendor
    associated with IE:
    http://www.jensign.com/JavaScience/SelectIEJVM/index.html

    A note from Mitch Gallant:

    "One note about the JVM Selector utility: If/when you install a new
    version of Sun J2SE, you need to manually select to have Sun JVM as default
    JVM for IE (in install), or after install via the JavaPlugin control panel.
    This generates the necessary win32 registry entries, which must be present
    for the utility to know about JavaPlugin. After that, the utility should
    work properly."

    Java and JavaScript are two different things. See here for tutorials on
    the differences:

    http://www.jsr.communitech.net/difference.htm
    http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/639301

    For JavaScript: download the latest engine for your particular OS here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=jscript&DisplayLang=en
    Get both "Windows Script 5.6" and "JScript 5.6 Security Patch" for your
    particular OS.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
    message news:uZwpCIqmFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    > I've always had less problems with MS's version of JVM than with
    > Sun's. Since installing XP Pro on a new machine I'm wondering since
    > MS JVM is not supported any longer is it possible to take take a copy
    > off of my old W9se machine and use it on the XP machine...or is this
    > impossible or ill-advised?

Microsoft Windows XP