Sign in with
Your question

Random Lock-ups with new processor (please help quickly)

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2008 2:34:03 AM

So I finally got the X2 3600+ and installed it in my older Socket 939 computer. Everything loaded great, Windows was reactivated, and I thought I was good. 3DMark06 ran at the level it should have, and games seemed faster.

But...I get random lockups. The system will suddenly freeze, the mouse unable to move, Ctl+Alt+Del doing nothing, requiring a reset. It happens most frequently with HDD scanning programs (AV scan, Ad-ware scans, defragmenters, disk cleanup)--every time. While I originally thought this infrequent lockups browsing the internet (such as the first time I went to write this message), and playing games occurred as well. Obviously, this is annoying, and I would like it fixed. If anyone could help me, or recommend something to download, I would be most thankful.

System specs:

ASRock 939Dual-Sata
AMD Athlon X2 3600+ (changed from an Athlon 64 3200+)
2 GB Corsair ValueSelect
Evga 7600GT CO
Seasonic S12 380
Western Digital Caviar 80GB
DVD drive
Floppy drive

This is not heat-related, since I have runCoretemp and check its reading with the BIOS to ensure accuracy. I get 21-25 C idle, and 40C max when playing Oblivion.

It is using the standard heatsink with Arctic Cooling MX-2.
April 1, 2008 2:51:07 AM

Since you upgraded from an older system did you make sure your mobo can support the new CPU? Try to see if there's a newer version of BIOS than the one you currently have.
April 1, 2008 3:08:00 AM

I am pretty certain it can.

However, how would I check the BIOS version I have currently?
Related resources
April 1, 2008 3:14:44 AM

During POST, or run CPU-Z and check the mainboard tab.

Download Ultimate Boot CD and run memtest86. You will need to burn the ISO to CD with ISO Recorder v 2, or other ISO burning software.
April 1, 2008 3:19:05 AM

What Zorg said or you can just enter BIOS at boot up, should say the version somewhere in the main screen.
April 1, 2008 7:48:52 PM

The BIOS version is P1.50, which I would assume is the same thing as 1.50
here. Considering the release date of the 1.50 and the date CPU-Z gives me are 2 days apart, I am near certain that is the version. However, if you do look at the BIOS updates past 1.50, you will see that they do nothing to improve a Socket 939 dual core processor. All of them either fix something related to AGP, or add support for AM2 with their "add-in" processor board. Could someone look through the BIOS upgrade list that I linked, and tell me if I am right in thinking the BIOS is not a problem?

Memtest results will come later.
April 2, 2008 1:02:11 AM

Memtest ran through 5 times without error.

Is there a hard drive diagnostic utility?
April 2, 2008 1:25:18 AM

Interestingly enough, it now will make it through Spybot scans, disk defragmentation, and Ad-Aware. Anything related to AVG still results in the lock up, though.
April 2, 2008 2:13:20 AM

sorry, but i didn't see anywhere in your posts that you reformatted. try that. you should reformat every time you make a drastic change (e.g. number of cores in the system..)
April 2, 2008 2:15:27 AM

Did you install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer? Not sure if it'll help, but it's worth a try.
April 2, 2008 5:32:31 AM

Would reinstalling Windows without reformatting help?

And yes, I did install the dual-core optimizer.
April 2, 2008 5:37:14 PM

Saving all your needed data and doing a clean install is the next step.
April 3, 2008 5:45:41 AM

Uninstalling the Dual Core optimizer, installing a Windows hotfix which accomplishes the same thing, and disabling Cool and Quiet has fixed the problem.
!