Whats capping my FPS (interesting)

iLace

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Erm I'm a gamer and I just got a new PC custom built.

We have Q6600 2.4
GTS 8800 (g92) 512MB
4GB 800mhz RAMM
580W HiperPower

It's a little odd, first thing I done was install COD:4 and CS:S.
Played them both with EVERYTHING maxed out.

1280x1024

And I got 71-72 fps.
I noticed strange things such as:
My FPS never went to any number other than 72 or 71 (just flickeres between 71 or 72). I then decreased the graphics, I turned AA off, lower res...
on both games... Still 72 and 72 flickering fps.

So somethings not right! and I have no idea what seems like my FPS on any game cant exceed 72 or be lower then 71 (except crysis).

stuff: vista 64, no OC's, 6 fans - no overheating, also worth noting I max out DX10 Crysis with about 30 - 50 fps which is normal I think.

First off, that's good, isn't it? Most monitors output at 60-75Hz, so anything higher is just for bragging.

Second, some games have caps on them. I don't know if the ones you listed do or not.

Third, is vsync on? That will try to match the monitor refresh rate and may cap the framerates in certain cases.

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I remember when i first got my new PC and all I had on my steam account was CS 1.6, so I loaded that up to test out my GPU and I was only getting 60 fps.

first thing i had to do was turn off vsync. this got me up to about 100fps.

then i had to goto the console and raise fps_max and enable developer to get the 500fps i was expecting. Im pretty sure its the same commands in CS:S. of course doing either of these to get over 100fps is pointless but is worth trying once just to see how high you can go.

There is also a command line in COD4 that allows you to raise your FPS cap. Access it through the console:

~/com_maxfps (enter a #)

I find that 250 works well. I have seen some servers kick for a cap over 300 so keep it below that.