Sign in with
Your question

Watching Videos/some games freeze. Hard Reboot

Last response: in Windows XP
August 8, 2010 12:45:31 PM

Hello everyone

I'm not the greatest tech whiz, so bare with me.
Whenever I watch a video, my PC locks up. The screen freezes, neither the mouse or keyboard (ctrl+alt+del etc.) respond. This occurs at any period of time, sometimes I can watch 2 hours of video sometimes only 5 minutes. YouTube has frozen on the rare occasion.

This does occur in some games too. I can play Dawn of War 2, Assassins Creed 2, Metro 2033 etc. without issue, but I am unable to play MW2 and Mirrors Edge without it freezing at a random period of time.

To simplify my problem:
-Watching videos and playing some games causes screen freezing, audio looping and an unresponsive mouse and keyboard.
-These problems occur after random periods of time.
-The only fix is to hard reboot.
-I play music on Winamp without any issues.

I have tried:
-Updating 4870 Bios
-Updating 4870 drivers
-Rolling back 4870 drivers to older drivers
-Using Rivatuner to set fan speed/underclock
-Using alternate video players (VLC, Windows Media Classic, DivX)

Here are my specs. I may have forgotten something. Nothing is OC

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (with Cooler Master 212)
GPU - Sapphire HD 4870 512mb
HDD - (?) 300gb
- WD (?) 500gb
RAM - 2x 2gb Kingston 5300 DDR2
Mobo- Gigabyte UP45-UD3L
Case- Cooler Master Ammo 533 (standard 120mm fan at the front, and an additional 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan at the back)
PSU - Cooler Master eXtreme 650W
OP - Windows XP Home SP3

Also, the temperatures are fairly low. The GPU usually sits around 50C, reaching 70C when gaming. Everything else idles at 30-40C.
Thanks in advance.
August 8, 2010 10:02:10 PM

PlowmanMk said:
Hello everyone

I have tried:
-Updating 4870 Bios
-Updating 4870 drivers
-Rolling back 4870 drivers to older drivers
-Using Rivatuner to set fan speed/underclock
-Using alternate video players (VLC, Windows Media Classic, DivX)

It appears you have trouble when you are using processor intensive applications, even slightly intensive.

If your MB came with a tool to monitor your processor temperature, install and run it.
Try to get one of your troublesome applications to run in a windows rather than full-screen. Have the temp monitor running so it can be seen while using a troubling application. You see where I'm gong here by now.

Just how hot is your CPU getting?

Your Catalyst Control Center also has a temp monitor for your video card (under ATI Overdrive).

Try to squeeze it on screen too and see how hot these two items are getting.

More than a year ago, ATI released a BIOS update that made Riva Tuner unnecessary for controlling Video card fan speed.

m
l
August 9, 2010 1:56:00 AM

Thanks for the reply

I tested MW2 in windows mode, keeping a close eye on the temps (had SpeedFan and ATI Catalyst Control running)
the Graphics card never exceeded 60C, and the CPU never exceeded 42C.

I managed to play for about an hour before finally freezing again.

EDIT: I'm starting to think that it's MW2. I played several hours of TF2 without issue. However, watching videos still leads to a system freeze.
m
l
Related resources
!