AMDx2 5000+ BLACK edition

ra1d

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Hi there. i dont know a great deal when it comes to builds/upgrades but having just installed a new gfx card i've decided to have a go at installing a new cpu. I have the Asus M2V mobo which is currently running a single core 3500+ and after doing a bit of research i've decided i want to go dual core with a 5000+ black edition as i've read they can get over 3.0ghz just by upping the multiplier, and are around $100. im just wondering if there are any limitations, mainly with the mobo with running this cpu? can i just plug it in and away i go? what about hs+f? i run WinXP btw.

sorry for the nub q's

thanks for any help every1

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
1st make sure your mobo can use the cpu. Look it up. But if your single core is a socket939 then you cant use the x2 black edition. Im not sure which socket the single core 3500 is. Either check with cpu-z or another simple way is to see/know what kind of ram the machine has. If its DDR its socket 939, DDR2 its AM2.

It is hard to tell. Each MOBO is different, however from what I understand ASUS tends to overclock better than others far as AM2 platforms are concerned.

I have an MSI K9A Platium board and should be getting a 5000BE later in the week.

Newegg has the 5000BE for $87 right now with free shipping.

YOu can also get an Artic 64 Freezer Heatsink for it for $26 with free shipping. A good thing about the artic 64 is that it comes with preapplied thermal paste.

I am excited about getting my 5000BE as I am sure you are.

I will bookmark this thread and let you know what clock speeds I get and we can compare #s.

This chip should be a very cheap upgrade for you with a strong performance increase even at stock settings.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I got a 5000+ Black Edition a few days ago and its a great over clocker I have it paired with a Gigabyte motherboard and right now I am running stable at 3.2Ghz with a v-core of 1.6volts. As far as coolers go I am running a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX and it keeps the processor pretty cool idle is in the mid 30c's and full load is in the mid 40c's. I would recommend the typhoon if you don't mind spending the money and if you have a good size case cause its huge.

PS I upgraded from a 4600+ to this processor and to be truthfully its night in day as far as performance. So you upgrading from a single core to this dual core should make a HUGE difference in everything you do.

I got mine a few days ago and am kinda disappointed. I really can not see that big of a difference between it and my old 64x2 4200.

I had it clocked up to 3.1 GHz and although there was a speed increase it was not very noticable. My computer kept rebooting so I had to drop it down to 2.9 GHz and it has remained stable ever since. I may take it up to 3.0 on stock voltage or increase the voltage and go for 3.2.

I wish I had got the 64x2 6400 instead.

The only good thing I can say about the 5000 is that it does run cool which I am sure the 6400 does not.