Nehalem support of DDR2 or DDR3?

My system is starting to act up (northbridge wont stay cool, random BSOD) and I'm considering an upgrade now. If I were to get a new system with DDR2 and all other components, most of these would be able to be transfered over to a nehalem system in a year or so correct? I would just be looking at a new mobo and cpu to support nehalem most likely? Or would it possibly be more useful to go to a DDR3 mobo and then maybe see the benefits more with the next gen mobo/cpus? I understand that not many details have been released about nehalem so it is for the most part speculation but I'm sure there must be some type of info out there.

Thanks,
Steve
7 answers Last reply
More about nehalem support ddr2 ddr3
  1. sciggy said:
    My system is starting to act up (northbridge wont stay cool, random BSOD) and I'm considering an upgrade now. If I were to get a new system with DDR2 and all other components, most of these would be able to be transfered over to a nehalem system in a year or so correct? I would just be looking at a new mobo and cpu to support nehalem most likely? Or would it possibly be more useful to go to a DDR3 mobo and then maybe see the benefits more with the next gen mobo/cpus? I understand that not many details have been released about nehalem so it is for the most part speculation but I'm sure there must be some type of info out there.

Thanks,
    Steve

In my opinion it's not really worth it to upgrade to DDR3. At the moment as the faster DDR2 kits offer nearly identical performance and cost much less. I would also be a little concerned that since we aren't likely to see a mainstream Nehalem processor for 1+ years it's possible that you may actually be looking to upgrade to DDR4 at that point rather than DDR3.
  2. Fair enough. Might not be a bad idea to upgrade now then. Of course nehalem prices are going to be insane when they first come out as well. Especially because of EE first to come out.
  3. The memory controller in the Nehalem processor is only DDR3 from what I have heard.
  4. I think AMD and Intel are going to switch to DDR3 in early 2009. As of right now, DDR3 is not worth the money if you must build today. For the money, you can easily get 8GB of DDR2 for the price of 2GB DDR3.
  5. zpyrd said:

I wouldn't exactly classify wikipedia as being a reliable source of information. You might as well quote Fudzilla or the Inquirer.
  6. sciggy said:
    My system is starting to act up (northbridge wont stay cool, random BSOD) ...

You could always just clean out the dust bunnies and/or fix the broken fan.
  7. Just_An_Engineer said:
    I wouldn't exactly classify wikipedia as being a reliable source of information. You might as well quote Fudzilla or the Inquirer.

That's right! Its all made up, with no references to outside independent reliable sources...

Oh, wait...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs DDR2 Support Nehalem Product