I can't get my Freezer Pro installed on the mother board....

dhnf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I ordered all my parts last week and got started yesterday on my first ever build. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro fan was supposed to REPLACE the one that came with the Q6600. So I had to take everything apart to install it.

Anyway I took the MB out and tried to put this fan on. I can get TWO of the pegs to click into the MB (doesn't matter which two, I've tried every combination) but after that I simply can't get the other two to click into the MB. The silver mount that the pegs are connected to just won't budge and I can't push the pegs in.

It's incredibly frustrating and I feel like I'm going to snap the MB in half if push any harder. (FYI all 4 pegs push down fine when I am just holding the fan by itself).

Any ideas?

:fou:

dhnf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
This is my MB

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

miamirain

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Okay I've recently did Heatsink/Fan installs on 3 different 775 boards and I feel your pain. Here's what I've found that can be helpful, first you put two pegs on one side in, that should be a breeze, then on the last two, first make sure the plastic is pulled all the way up (the black tip isn't sticking out on the bottom), line up the white tip with the holes on the mobo, then use one finger to push the METAL part down so the white tip of the peg goes in the hole first (don't force the metal down too hard if you feel resistence, stop and make sure the white tip is alined with the holes before trying it again), THEN push the backside of the peg so the black tip goes through, finally remember to turn the pegs clockwise when it's in. Hope this helps.

dhnf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Ok I've got 3 of them in now... I had to put the board back in the case to sit on the spacers so I could really push down on that metal part. My finger tips feel like they are bruising.

I can't believe all of the people who said this thing was easy to install on NewEgg.

Not sure how I'm going to get that last piece down. It's resistant as hell.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
It's been stated a million times, that push pin mounting system is terrible.
There are tons of good cpu coolers that use a much better method(that usually ends up being stronger too) to mount the cooler.

The rosewill RCX-Z775-EX and the Enzotech Extreme-X have the best mounting mechanist I have seen on any cooler. Though I would only recommend the Enzotech for high overclocks.

dhnf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I agree that it's terrible :)

I FINALLY got it to work. Had to try changing the last pin I put down 4 times and the back left one did the trick. It was the easiest to push the metal down for.

Next time I'll be trying one of those other fans. Thanks for the input.