Sign in with
Your question

New hard drive problem

Last response: in Storage
May 24, 2009 12:03:22 AM

I have a desktop computer with Windows XP Home Ed. I just received a new 250 GB hard drive from Western Digital and installed it. I installed Win. XP with no problems. I then downloaded my anti-virus program McAfee, along with Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Malicious Software Remover and Windows Defender. But then, it froze up on me!?! I reset it and no problems, but after a few minutes, it froze up again? So luckily, I had created a restore point, which I restored it! It went back to the way it was, before all of the downloads. But then, when I went and downloaded McAfee again, which was the only program that I downloaded so far, after initiating the restore point, I'll be darn if it didn't freeze up again! What the heck is going on? It's a new hard drive darn it! Why would it freeze up on me already? Any suggestion for this, would be appreciated! Thanks.

More about : hard drive problem

May 24, 2009 12:12:12 PM

billybobbuddy said:
I have a desktop computer with Windows XP Home Ed. I just received a new 250 GB hard drive from Western Digital and installed it. I installed Win. XP with no problems. I then downloaded my anti-virus program McAfee, along with Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Malicious Software Remover and Windows Defender. But then, it froze up on me!?! I reset it and no problems, but after a few minutes, it froze up again? So luckily, I had created a restore point, which I restored it! It went back to the way it was, before all of the downloads. But then, when I went and downloaded McAfee again, which was the only program that I downloaded so far, after initiating the restore point, I'll be darn if it didn't freeze up again! What the heck is going on? It's a new hard drive darn it! Why would it freeze up on me already? Any suggestion for this, would be appreciated! Thanks.

could be a manufacturing defect.

if it's under warranty, get it replaced.
m
l
May 24, 2009 4:42:59 PM

anishmodi said:
could be a manufacturing defect.

if it's under warranty, get it replaced.

Yes, is still under warranty. But, I am starting to wonder, if it has anything to do with the Malwarebytes Anti-malware scan that I ran right after downloading it. Because there were 2 infected files that came up, that were in the registry, that were deleted. I'm wonwering if deleteing those 2 supposed bad registry entries, is causing it to freeze up? Because, I just downloaded S.P.3 and when I came back to it, it was frozen in the screen saver again. So, I have no other reason to blame
anything else on the freezing up.
m
l
!