Gadgets

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 28, 2004 12:08:16 AM

So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
gift-giving season?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Mostly Harmless

More about : gadgets

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:21:47 AM

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
> gift-giving season?

Well... I was supposed to get this by Christmas from a work related venture.
I should have it soon...

http://www.streamium.com/products/mc-i250/

Quixote
December 28, 2004 2:24:48 AM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:21:47 -0600, "Quixote"
<quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
>> gift-giving season?
>>

>Well... I was supposed to get this by Christmas from a work related venture.
>I should have it soon...
>
>http://www.streamium.com/products/mc-i250/
>
>Quixote

Sweet!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Mostly Harmless

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:29:06 -0600, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
>> gift-giving season?
>
>Garmin eTrexVista http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/
>
>Marshmallow Shooter http://www.marshmallowshooter.com/
>(with a bag of edible "ammo")
>
>Blue Blaster Badge http://eyeblasters.com/badges.asp

Love the badge! That'd be great for conventions and trade shows.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Mostly Harmless

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:08:16 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
> gift-giving season?

Only a Motorola V550.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
> gift-giving season?
>
> --
> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
> Mostly Harmless

I bought myself a DAB Digital radio 'cos no one else took the hints! Also,
a wireless router and network cards.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:44:20 PM

> Love the badge! That'd be great for conventions and trade shows.

My friend programmed his to say "I am not a terrorist". Bet that'll score
big points when he goes through airport security! :D
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:44:48 PM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in news:usdAd.7600590$6p.1195226
@news.easynews.com:

> a wireless router and network cards.

Which router?
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:34:43 PM

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in news:usdAd.7600590$6p.1195226
> @news.easynews.com:
>
> > a wireless router and network cards.
>
> Which router?

Yes which? When my wireless Streamium makes it here I will snatch one of
these myself. Been looking at the Linksys WRT54G and the Motorola WR850G
myself.

Quixote
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:09:20 AM

Quixote wrote:

> "ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in news:usdAd.7600590$6p.1195226
>>@news.easynews.com:
>>

>>>a wireless router and network cards.
>>
>>Which router?
>

> Yes which? When my wireless Streamium makes it here I will snatch one of
> these myself. Been looking at the Linksys WRT54G and the Motorola WR850G
> myself.

I've got the WRT54G, and it works quite well. Just replace the firmware
with, say, Satori, and voila. Being able to SSH into your router and
getting a linux shell is neat.

I'm not a heavy user there, though. My main PC is simply plugged in, but
the laptops use it, and it works quite well.

Install the Wondershaper (as found at http://www.lartc.org/) or get a
firmware with the wondershaper built in, and you won't even have
queueing problems when uploading and downloading synchronously on a
cable modem.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:09:21 AM

Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in

> I've got the WRT54G, and it works quite well. Just replace the firmware
> with, say, Satori, and voila. Being able to SSH into your router and
> getting a linux shell is neat.

I was just going to suggest that.

> Install the Wondershaper (as found at http://www.lartc.org/) or get a
> firmware with the wondershaper built in, and you won't even have
> queueing problems when uploading and downloading synchronously on a
> cable modem.

I posted some instructions in the Sveasoft forums (http://sveasoft.com/) on
how to add iptables commands to give priority to your game packets, so your
game won't lag when someone is doing a heavy file transfer (like P2P or big
uploads). It also works for VOIP, which is also UDP-based.

If you've got another "full-size" Linux box, you can run syslog there in
network server mode, and tell all your syslog-capable appliances (including
Satori firmware and some HP JetDirect printers) to syslog to your Linux
box.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:09:22 AM

> Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in
>
> > I've got the WRT54G, and it works quite well. Just replace the firmware
> > with, say, Satori, and voila. Being able to SSH into your router and
> > getting a linux shell is neat.
>
> I was just going to suggest that.
>
> > Install the Wondershaper (as found at http://www.lartc.org/) or get a
> > firmware with the wondershaper built in, and you won't even have
> > queueing problems when uploading and downloading synchronously on a
> > cable modem.
>
> I posted some instructions in the Sveasoft forums (http://sveasoft.com/)
on
> how to add iptables commands to give priority to your game packets, so
your
> game won't lag when someone is doing a heavy file transfer (like P2P or
big
> uploads). It also works for VOIP, which is also UDP-based.
>
> If you've got another "full-size" Linux box, you can run syslog there in
> network server mode, and tell all your syslog-capable appliances
(including
> Satori firmware and some HP JetDirect printers) to syslog to your Linux
> box.

Thanks. I do happen to use VOIP for my phone system. Making a bookmark
now. :^)

Quixote
December 29, 2004 4:33:21 AM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:44:20 -0600, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Love the badge! That'd be great for conventions and trade shows.
>
>My friend programmed his to say "I am not a terrorist". Bet that'll score
>big points when he goes through airport security! :D

Better than it saying "There is not a bomb in my rectum." Bet the
procto-squad would descend like wolves on a lame fawn.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Mostly Harmless

"Quixote" <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote in message

> "ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
>> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in news:usdAd.7600590$6p.1195226
>> @news.easynews.com:
>>
>> > a wireless router and network cards.
>>
>> Which router?
>
> Yes which? When my wireless Streamium makes it here I will snatch one of
> these myself. Been looking at the Linksys WRT54G and the Motorola WR850G
> myself.
>
> Quixote

It's a Belkin 802.11g wireless router with built in ADSL modem. Not sure of
the model number.

Works great and the non modem version won networking product of the year
from Computer Shopper magazine.

I have had to reset it a couple of times, but other than that no problems or
complaints.
December 29, 2004 5:44:43 PM

> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
>> gift-giving season?
>
> Garmin eTrexVista http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/
>
> Marshmallow Shooter http://www.marshmallowshooter.com/
> (with a bag of edible "ammo")
>
> Blue Blaster Badge http://eyeblasters.com/badges.asp

What's the badge for?
January 12, 2005 1:27:41 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
> gift-giving season?

I got a digital camera. It's not the greatest, but it was cheap ($40)
with 3.1 Megapixels.

I also got an Xecuter 3, installed it, fried a trace on it when the alt
5v connector touched the metal portion of the inside of the XBox case,
then managed to bypass the burnt trace with a wire. There's just
something neat about playing Commodore 64 games on an XBox. :)

--
Troy
Anonymous

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
> gift-giving season?
>
> --
> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
> Mostly Harmless

i'm getting a new piano. with lasers instead of strings.
January 13, 2005 2:58:25 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:27:41 -0800, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
>> gift-giving season?
>
>I got a digital camera. It's not the greatest, but it was cheap ($40)
>with 3.1 Megapixels.

Beats my 2.2 Megapixel camera. And I paid $300 for that 4 years ago!

>I also got an Xecuter 3, installed it, fried a trace on it when the alt
>5v connector touched the metal portion of the inside of the XBox case,
>then managed to bypass the burnt trace with a wire. There's just
>something neat about playing Commodore 64 games on an XBox. :)

Probably loads faster too. I remember having to LOAD "*",8,1 then go
to school, and by the time I got back home, I only had half an hour
wait time before Raid Over Moscow had loaded. ;P

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
January 13, 2005 3:11:57 AM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:09:10 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
>> gift-giving season?
>>
>> --
>> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
>> Mostly Harmless
>
>i'm getting a new piano. with lasers instead of strings.

What a coincidence! I just got a new laser with piano string instead
of a laserbeam!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:09:10 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> So, come on... Anyone get any technical gifts of merit this compulsory
>>> gift-giving season?
>>>
>>> --
>>> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
>>> Mostly Harmless
>>
>>i'm getting a new piano. with lasers instead of strings.
>>

> What a coincidence! I just got a new laser with piano string instead
> of a laserbeam!
>
> --
> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Haha you made me laugh.,
January 14, 2005 1:52:23 AM

Frank van Schie wrote:

> Indeed. I bought mine secondhand, and it had MameX on there. With a
> shitload of roms... Ooooh, yeah. Makes me want to fire 'r up right now.

I have MameOx on mine, too. I copied the ROMs I had on a DVD to it. All
4.5 GB worth of them. :)

--
Troy
!