Errors Overclocking RAM.. but why?

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Current Specs.
ASUS P5K-E Wifi
Crucial Ballistix RAM 4GB(specs 800mhz 4-4-4-12 2.0v)
Nvid8800GT 512MB
Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
Corsair 500watts

I have recently upgraded from 2GB of RAM to 4GB. Prior to the upgrade I was running my overclock at 356mhz FSB on 9 cycles. After the upgrade I went to 400mhz FSB on 8 cycles. Both combinations put my CPU overclock to 3.2ghz and my CPU is stable and cool (60C) with Prime95. After switching my RAM from 356mhz to 400mhz in an attempt to get the specified 800mhzDDRRAM I have been getting errors. All sounds artifact, some keys stop working on my keyboard, visual artifacts on the screen as well as other annoying errors. Thinking I might have bad RAM I went back to the 2x1GB modules in an attempt to isolate the problem. Unfortunately, the problem also occurs with my other set of RAM. Both RAM sets are specified to run at 800mhz so what else might be the problem?

I am currently running the 4GB at 360mhzFSB giving me 720mhz on the DDRRAM with my timings at 4-4-4-12 and 2.0v.

Confused and frustrated, please help.
I am fairly new to the overclocking scene, I have had this machine running well for over a year but it is my first true homebuilt.

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
BRILLIANT!
That did it.. What exactly did I do to the system?
I was running the system with the auto nb voltage. My mobo runs it from 1.25-1.75. I am running 1.7 and everything is finally working fine. Goodness that took me about 15 hours to finally work out. Thank you

Again, what exactly did I do to the system? How did increasing the voltage on the nb fix the problem?

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Just a thought:

If what your doing doesn't work - try 356*9 with a memory speed of 715 for a 1:1 ratio.

I have never tried 400*8 but thats what worked for me.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
The NB handles the FSB frequency and acts as the memory controller. When you push the fsb up significantly, along with 4gb of ram+, there is quite a bit of stress on the NB compared to running stock FSB with 2gb of ram. Adding some extra voltage can solve the stability problem, but at 1.7 your going to burn your board up.

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
its toned back to 1.4 now-
I have now been having issues getting my video card to send a signal to the monitor.
Sometimes I boot up and I hear windows start in the speakers but nothing comes up on the screen. I have verified all connections on the setup and still have the problem every now and then. Weird

EDIT FOLLOWUP
Everything seems to be working fine now. I am at:
410mhz FSB x 8
3.28ghz
820mhz RAM
4-4-4-12
1.4v NB

I believe the error I was experiencing with the video was associated with too high a voltage on the nb.

I trust that 1.4 is the max voltage for the NB but why does the mobo allow anywhere from 1.25v -1.75v on the NB if going past 1.4 is harmful?
also, what should the command rate be set to for the RAM? 1T, 2T? What does that mean?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
haha just cos the mobo has that option doesnt mean you should take it.... my mobo has FSB freqs from 200 to 800... do you really think any ln2 setup would even take that? :lol: most of those hgiher end options are for extreme ocing.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
It goes that high for benching and people who do extreme overclocks. In situations like that, they really don't care how long the computer last. Also they most likely are running water or better to the chipsets to keep them cool.