Sign in with
Your question

Disk failure for a RAID0 system

Last response: in Storage
May 24, 2009 2:08:49 AM

A friend of mine asked me to help him out with his computer. It is a Del Precision 9100 set up with 2 x 250GB in RAID0. The raid controller is an onboard Intel Matrix Manager.

On boot the raid manager reports a problem with disk 0, and the computer fails to boot. He does not have any backuo (ofc), is there a simple way to recover the data off the disks?

I tried to connect the drives to my own computer to see if the disks were readable, but it did not work (as expected). One of the disks came online as an unformatted disk, the other did not show up in Windows at all.

Any help would be appreciated.
May 25, 2009 7:46:05 PM

asak said:
A friend of mine asked me to help him out with his computer. It is a Del Precision 9100 set up with 2 x 250GB in RAID0. The raid controller is an onboard Intel Matrix Manager.

On boot the raid manager reports a problem with disk 0, and the computer fails to boot. He does not have any backuo (ofc), is there a simple way to recover the data off the disks?

I tried to connect the drives to my own computer to see if the disks were readable, but it did not work (as expected). One of the disks came online as an unformatted disk, the other did not show up in Windows at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

have a similar problem, please let me know if you manage to sort it- and how..i lost a TB :fou: 
a c 126 G Storage
May 26, 2009 1:22:11 PM

Well determine a software or hardware problem. Both drives should show up in your system, if not use some utility (download UBCD - ultimate boot cd). If you can recover the contents of the "failed" drive, you can still restore the data that was on the RAID0 array.
May 26, 2009 6:19:52 PM

Thanx sub mesa

well mines definitely a pcb problem on the one drive, it wont spin at all.

a question though...

i can actually access data from both drives- but only one at a time. one of the drives has a broken pcb, which is why its not working - but if i plug it into the pcb from the working drive, it reads - hence, i can only access one drive at as time, which of course means i still cant access my data.
Do you have any ideas as to how i might do this?
i tried to make an image of the working drive but it shows as 1TB instead of the 500gb it actually is.

cheers

steve
!