Is my Dell XP computer outdated?

hode44ei

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
My Dell XP computer is over six years old and I wonder if it's time for a new one. If I do, what is a better option for my home use. An HP or another Dell? I cannot afford the very best but I also do not want the lowest of the lowest. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to buying a computer. I do not need a monitor as I bought a new one last year. Thank you.

CM

Dell uses too many things that you'll have to go back to them for support, like, try and get a video driver 3 years from now for a new Dell purchased today. They do things in their BIOS to mess with you if you try to put in a better 3rd party device, like a bigger hard drive.. The &*^#$% thing will stay on the drive size they put in... just too many annoyances that take forever to finally get a workaround.

HP so far is kinder to their customers. Acer is coming up fast, but has a long way to go.
If you scour the HP websites, they'll teach you a ton of great stuff on how to fix your OS someday when it messes up, rather than have you call them and need to pay $$ because it is out of warranty.

I bought my daughter a HP laptop and since I know kids, I also bought their "Accident" insurance policy to go with it.
Sure enough, 3 months later she closed the lid on the computer when there was an ink pen on the keyboard. The screen of course shattered into a million pieces. I called HP and they said "of course something like that is covered" :)
and they gave me their Fed-Ex account info and paid the shipping to and from the repair center in California. They had it overnight and Fed-Ex shipped it back to me with the Fed-Ex guaranteed overnight delivery. All this cost me nothing more.

Oh yea, I'll buy HP again and again. :hello:

My vote is for HP.