need a passive cooler for a core 2 quad

shiv666

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
so im am planning to build a system eventually but i want to try something different. I want to make it so that the only fan in the case is the 120mm fan in the psu.

i am looking at using the fanless radeon hd4850 by gigabyte. for the cpu i am considering either a 2.4ghz or 2.66 ghz core 2 quad...I want to get a fanless cooler for the cpu but i dont know what is safe to use on such a hot cpu. i am not planning on overclocking it, i just think that you all would have better knowledge of cooling :)

has anyone installed a fanless heatsink on there core 2 quad?

if yes what make and model? and what temps does it usually run at idle/load?

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Instead of going fanless, why don't you go with a VERY LOW rpm/noise fan? Some of those things are practically inaudible, you probably have to have your ear next to it to hear it. Besides that make sure you get a good quiet PSU, it would suck if you built a fan less or quiet system just to find out your PSU is loud.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Im sorry but i cant rlly recommend a passive cpu cooler, id sooner shoot myself in the foot.
Id get a quiet rated cpu heatsink/fan tho.

G

Tried this with the Silverstone Sugo SG-01 with the passive NT-06 heatsink. The only cooling in this setup is from the PSU 120mm fan which draws air through the NT-06.
Worked fine for normal use with a B0 Q6600, keeping temps arond 55C with 2 cores going flat out on prime95. Running Prime95 on all cores pushed the temps up beyond 75C pretty quickly. This suggests that what you want to achieve might be possible with a larger passive heatsink though, the SG01 is pretty limited by space (no heatsinks higher than ~80mm).

That 4850 is a hot card too, you might want another case exhaust fan in there somewhere

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
good luck be sure to not to over heat stuff hahahah just go with a fan! not worth risking the nice parts to a sahara dessert over time

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

Don't forget to consider the noise from the hdd.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You realize that even with passive cooling, you still need to have fans that will pull the heat away from the heatsinks. Like most others mentioned, go with low noise coolers. Even with watercooling you need fans to move heat from your heatsinks and components as they emit heat that can build up.

"Fanless cooler" is kind of like "zero-emission vehicle." to be truthful the latter must generally be called "elsewhere-emission" vehicles. In the former case, you typically need excellent airflow through your case, provided by fans not on the cooler. They may be slower and quieter because they'll be bigger, but you still need fans. Relying on a PSU fan to move enough air to cool a C2Q AND a 4850 is an exercise in futility. You might get away with it if you UNDERclock everything, but I suspect that would miss the point.
What do you intend to run on this system? Games? Forget it. HTPC? Look at a 45W AMD chip on a 790GX; those you could run with only a PSU fan.

If you want quiet, go to www.silentpcreview.com
They have reviews on lots of silent/quiet parts.
As others have said, low speed fans are very quiet, and a better option as a rule.
You could also consider a Zalman reserator which is a passive water cooling system.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Ther are plenty of 120mm cpu fans that are quiet.

Also any goood HDD I've bought makes 0 noise as well. and if your real concerned, buy some ssd.

The loudest thing in my pc is the dvd drive.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
"Fanless cooler" is kind of like "zero-emission vehicle." to be truthful the latter must generally be called "elsewhere-emission" vehicles.

I like this one. People fail to see the problem created by 'electric' cars...right, you don't need gas, but we need 10 more coal fired electric plants to provide the electricity for the cars you want to sell. How clean is that, really? Probably far worse than the fuel emissions. The only better solution is to go to nuclear plants, but our government is too stupid (insert ignorant or stubborn if applicable) to understand that you can re-use rods if you process them right. Just look at Europe.

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
nah mate, you can make clean electricity using wind power, wave power, solar power, etc etc etc. without ANY emissions. Whether people put this into practice or not is a different issue.

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

I did, but I wanted to put my point across as I thought it was very important.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

I think everyone knows about clean energy now. If you want to put solar panels on your house that's great, but the technology isn't advanced enough yet to make any significant contribution at this time or in the near future.